64 S2 Roadster
72 Sprint FHC
types26/36
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: LotusEngineeringBuff » Mon Apr 22, 2024 3:34 pm

Thank you Brian
Nice photographic record !
When I have drilled new holes for my hydraulic brake line I will also but rubber grommets.
For the fuel I have a stainless steel braided hose and It does not fit in the bulkhead holes by 2mm. I'll try to enlarge them. If that does not work, I'll drive it through the big one.
Have a great day
Francois
Fran?ois
Lotus Elan Plus 2 130S Big Valves
LotusEngineeringBuff
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: types26/36 » Mon Apr 22, 2024 4:34 pm

It is difficult when fitting/removing a Sprint type diff brace (with the body on) to locate and tighten the centre bolt so I modified my chassis to make it easier. I drilled a hole to correspond with the bolt to enable a socket to be used.
Attachments
1.JPG and
2.JPG and
3.JPG and
4.JPG and
Brian
64 S2 Roadster
72 Sprint FHC
types26/36
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: LotusEngineeringBuff » Mon Apr 22, 2024 8:36 pm

Hi Brian,
I must say that I fought with the diff twice to remove it from the chassis and put it back in with the body in place. But I never thought about parting the two halfs (front cone with gearing and back housing) with the diff on the chassis. Can you tell me the reason to do it ? Is it quicker if you have to change the gear ratio at the track ?
Best regards
Francois
Fran?ois
LotusEngineeringBuff
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: types26/36 » Mon Apr 22, 2024 8:55 pm

Francois,
The mod is not for separating the diff from the housing, its just for getting the complete diff in and out.
If you have the strengthing diff brace fitted then it is difficult as the brace has to be removed first. The hole allows you to get to the bolt that secures the brace to the diff.
Hope this makes sense to you.
Brian
64 S2 Roadster
72 Sprint FHC
types26/36
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: billwill » Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:28 pm

I had a braided fuel lines for a while, which was run in the cavity under the door inside the cabin. It made the cabin stink of petrol, despite no obvious leaks.

Eventually I got rid of it and used Kunifer pipe instead. No smell now.

Braided fuel pipes may have internal rubber tubes which are porous or damaged by the alcohol in modern fuels.

So I suggest that you get rid of that fuel pipe and fit one made all of nylon like the original or made of copper/kunifer.
Bill Williams

36/6725 S3 Coupe OGU108E Yellow over Black.
billwill
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: JonB » Sun Apr 28, 2024 7:38 am

Is it OK to reuse the original nylon fuel line? Mine is 53 years old.. but still sound I think.
JonB
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: LotusEngineeringBuff » Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:14 pm

billwill wrote:I had a braided fuel lines for a while, which was run in the cavity under the door inside the cabin. It made the cabin stink of petrol, despite no obvious leaks.

Eventually I got rid of it and used Kunifer pipe instead. No smell now.

Braided fuel pipes may have internal rubber tubes which are porous or damaged by the alcohol in modern fuels.

So I suggest that you get rid of that fuel pipe and fit one made all of nylon like the original or made of copper/kunifer.

Thank you Bill,
I appreciate the advice. It's absolutely nothing against you, but it made me angry because I realised that I would have to wait yet another few days or even weeks to get a new hose and I would miss next week-end when I plan to put the body on the chassis at last. (I can can work on the car only every other week.)
In the mean time, I have looked a little closer to what I bought. It's a hose made of CPE (Chlorinated polyethylene). The product description says "Application: Racing fuel, pump gas, fuels with ethanol, alcohol based fuels, motor oil & coolant etc". Looking in the Internet I found also "This hose uses chlorinated polyethylene (CPE) and is available in blue and black from Roadrunner Performance. Use it with fuel systems including methanol systems".

But on the other hand I also found "https://www.motortrend.com/how-to/hrdp-1101-performance-fuel-hoses/" where they clearly recommend PFTE (i.e. Teflon) hoses and warn about the aging of CPE-based hoses with modern "agressive" fuels.

Now Im' still scratching my head... but I wiil probably order braided PFTE hoses and the appropriate fittings tomorrw.
Thanks again for the warning

Following question : Do you know what your hose was made of ? Was it CPE or maybe some older type of rubber like neoprene ?

François
Fran?ois
LotusEngineeringBuff
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: billwill » Tue Apr 30, 2024 10:33 am

Sorry but No, I do not know what was inside the braided hose; I could never find any leak and the fittings were too secure to get braiding off to see if there were markings on the pipe itself.

All I really know is that it stank of fuel & that smell vanished when I changed to Kunifer metal piping.

You may be OK to use your braided hose with the pipe outside the cabin and your markings do seem to say it is ethanol proof. Later, with some difficulty you should be able to change a fuel pipe in the tunnel with the body on, by using the hole in the side of the tunnel under the plastic cover. (take the right-hand seat out.)
Bill Williams

36/6725 S3 Coupe OGU108E Yellow over Black.
billwill
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Previous

Total Online: