Clear windshields

PostPost by: toomspj » Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:10 am

That Moss video is quite enlightening. I buy my windscreens from autoglass in UK and they cost around ?100 each (S1 or S4), which is a great price. But I have had to adjust the surround for my S1 (wasn't too difficult), and it does take a bit of jiggling to get the S4 one to fit.

Unfortunately, since on a lot of race tracks there seems to be an increase in grasscrete run off areas that contain gravel and sand, it is quite a common occurence for me to get a cracked screen from the guy in front running wide. So, if you want cheap, you have to be prepared to modify; maybe if you pay more for the Pilkington OE screen it will fit straight away. Unless of course someone has already modified the surrround!

I guess if it fits first time, it's probably not a genuine Lotus.... :roll:
Turning money into noise!
toomspj
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: saildrive2001 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 2:58 pm

Herb,
I don't think that would be a problem, just ask when you place your order.
Keith Marshall
69 S4 SE DHC RHD Original owner
saildrive2001
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: RotoFlexible » Wed Mar 24, 2010 8:27 pm

saildrive2001 wrote:Contact Shawn Megown by either telephone 614 539 8430 or by e-mail at [email protected] & mention my name Keith Marshall.

The e-mail address is incorrect; the correct address is [email protected]. I just spoke with him and told him I planned to buy a windscreen. I was the first, he's looking for more.
Andrew Bodge
'66 Elan S2 26/4869
I love the sound of a torque wrench in the morning. Sounds like... progress.
RotoFlexible
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: saildrive2001 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:42 pm

Thanks for correcting the e-mail address.
Keith Marshall
saildrive2001
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Jon Eckman » Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:58 pm

I just spoke with Shawn to let him know that I would commit to 3 later model windshields, and I've put feelers out to several others I know in the area that might want to join in as well.

Thanks for starting this Kieth.

Jon
Jon Eckman
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Ross Robbins » Fri Mar 26, 2010 2:32 pm

I just spoke to Shawn and ordered two early windshields (S1 HT 0166). Great guy and very helpful. He did say that they would have to work them into production at the plant with 13 employees so it may be later than you expected Keith, probably July for delivery :?

Thanks for all the legwork to set this up Keith. It is much appreciated.

Ross in Denver, CO
Ross Robbins
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: RotoFlexible » Fri Mar 26, 2010 5:04 pm

Ross Robbins wrote:He did say that they would have to work them into production at the plant with 13 employees so it may be later than you expected Keith, probably July for delivery :?

The race is on. Which arrives first:the windscreen or the 5-speed? I hope to have both in the car in time for LOG 30 in early October.
Andrew Bodge
'66 Elan S2 26/4869
RotoFlexible
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Ross Robbins » Wed Mar 31, 2010 5:36 pm

I thought I might bump this up to the top again.

If you want a windshield (or windscreen) for your Elan, let Shawn at Pilkington's office in Columbus, Ohio know by next week April 7, 2010. That is the deadline to get the group price of $315.

Also, I found out the shipping nuances. If you ship two windshields to the same address, it is one shipping charge. The distinction between a commercial address and a residence is that they don't need to make prior arrangements at a commercial address as someone is there throughout the day to accept the shipment saving them administrative hassle.

Order now if you want this deal...only one week left!
Ross Robbins
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: saildrive2001 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 7:35 pm

Thanks Ross for the reminder, I was going to do this myself in acouple of days.
One other point is that you can in fact ship 4 windshields in one container. A group of us in the Toronto are going to do just that, doesn't cost anymore for the freight.
Keith Marshall
saildrive2001
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Famous Frank » Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:34 pm

Thank you Keith, I too have ordered two S1 (S1 HT 016) Windshields today. If it's good enough for Ross it's good enough for me!

Famous Frank
1966 S2SE
26/5738
Famous Frank

67 Elan Coupe
66 Elan S2 SE
65 Elan S2
65 Elan 26R
69 S2 Europa
06 Elise
67 Barracuda
Famous Frank
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Ross Robbins » Tue Aug 24, 2010 7:25 pm

I talked to Shawn Magown today and he said I was the first to confirm and pay for the now available windscreens. Give him a call with your credit card handy and a shipping address and get your new old unscratced, unpitted, undinged windscreen.
Ross Robbins
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: RotoFlexible » Tue Aug 24, 2010 8:47 pm

Ross Robbins wrote:I talked to Shawn Magown today and he said I was the first to confirm and pay for the now available windscreens.

Ross, he must say that to all the boys :roll: I got a call from him and paid up a week ago.
Andrew Bodge
'66 Elan S2 26/4869
RotoFlexible
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Ross Robbins » Tue Aug 24, 2010 9:08 pm

Ahhhh! :shock: :? And I felt so special! I just wanted those who were not yet aware that the group order is in and ready to ship. I am so excited :lol:
By the way Andrew, which came first the windscreen or the five speed??
Ross Robbins
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: RotoFlexible » Wed Aug 25, 2010 11:17 am

Ross Robbins wrote:By the way Andrew, which came first the windscreen or the five speed??

The windscreen. The 5-speed - well, it certainly won't be in the car for the trip to LOG 30, which was one reason I ordered it. One of these days the 5-speed thread will light up again when they start to arrive, but I am not holding my breath.
Andrew Bodge
'66 Elan S2 26/4869
RotoFlexible
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: RotoFlexible » Fri Sep 10, 2010 9:41 pm

The windscreen was delivered to a local auto glass place yesterday and they installed it today, without drama. I supplied the new seal and spline (from Dave Bean). Everything fits perfectly, it looks great, and the difference in the view out the front is startling - even without driving into headlights or a low sun. I fully expected wind in my face.
Thanks, Keith, for making this happen :D
Andrew Bodge
'66 Elan S2 26/4869
RotoFlexible
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PreviousNext

Total Online: