Repair or Replace Chassis?

PostPost by: c42 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:56 pm

If any part of the chassis looks like that, the rest will be in poor condition - throw it away(or at least cash it in for scrap)!

John
c42
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: syrius » Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:53 pm

the rest is like the pic John .
I replaced the chassis there are 2 years ago .

Serge
Attachments
chassis reduit.jpg and

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
syrius
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: alan.barker » Wed Feb 09, 2011 6:17 pm

Hi Serge,
sorry but with a chassis in that condition it's not possible to compare it objectively with a new spyder one.
from my point of view if you use a lotus elan +2 on the road and not race on a circuit you will not see the difference.
an elan +2 with a sound galvanised lotus chassis has fantastic roadholding.
it's only my opinion after driving lotuses for 34 years.
you pay your money and your make your choice.
i have a feeling i've just opened Pandora's box again ( silly me )
Alan B
Alan.b Brittany 1972 elan sprint fhc Lagoon Blue 0460E
alan.barker
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: JJDraper » Wed Feb 09, 2011 6:42 pm

For me it was fatigue on the front suspension mountings that was the last straw. Cracks spread out from the lower spindle mounts, leading to a catastrophic failure in France, on tour. Thanks to a local agricultural welder, we got back on the road within a couple of hours, but I never trusted it, even after a return home and a more substantial repair. Cracks appeared to radiate out from the spindles on both sides. When the body came off for a rebuild it was an easy choice to junk the chassis, but a harder one to go for original or Spyder. In the end I went the Spyder route for practicality, and an option to fit a Zetec should someone else want to.

When the time came, there was only surface rust in a couple of places, despite year round use.

Jeremy
JJDraper
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: JJDraper » Wed Feb 09, 2011 6:42 pm

For me it was fatigue on the front suspension mountings that was the last straw. Cracks spread out from the lower spindle mounts, leading to a catastrophic failure in France, on tour. Thanks to a local agricultural welder, we got back on the road within a couple of hours, but I never trusted it, even after a return home and a more substantial repair. Cracks appeared to radiate out from the spindles on both sides. When the body came off for a rebuild it was an easy choice to junk the chassis, but a harder one to go for original or Spyder. In the end I went the Spyder route for practicality, and an option to fit a Zetec should someone else want to.

When the time came, there was only surface rust in a couple of places, despite year round use.

Jeremy
JJDraper
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: syrius » Thu Feb 10, 2011 2:30 pm

Hi Alan

just for close the pandora box ...
yes I agr?e Its difficult to compare my old Lotus chassis with new spyder chassis .
But my opinion is
spyder chassis is better ,more rigid, and more realiable than an original Lotus .

The square tubes seem to me more solide than the metal sheet from the original chassis.
OK its only my feling , but many Elan and +2 are updated with Syder chassis
may be its a sign ?

A bientot Alan

Serge

syrius
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: alan.barker » Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:44 pm

hi Serge,
the most important is that we drive the lotuses as much as possible. that's what they were made for.
by the way are you still happy with the carbtune?
amicalement
Alan
Alan.b Brittany 1972 elan sprint fhc Lagoon Blue 0460E
alan.barker
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: syrius » Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:37 pm

Hi Alan

yes I'm happy with the carbtune its very easy to use .

Serge :wink:

syrius
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: milestricks » Thu Feb 24, 2011 6:57 am

robbie0023 wrote:The body is now off my Plus 2. My mechanic says he can repair it and make it straight for around $1500. He wanted to give me the option of replacing the chassis if I wanted to but I just don't see how without robbing a bank. I know that I can buy a replacement chassis but at what cost? Does any one have an extra straight chassis at a reasonable price?

Mobile Repair can assist you on this kind of decision bec. they have the knowledge of the repair that you need.
milestricks
New-tral

PostPost by: Elanintheforest » Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:02 pm

Go on then Mobile Repair...tell us how you'd approach the problem.

Have you ever heard of an Elan? :lol: :lol:
Mark
Elanintheforest
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: milestricks » Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:49 am

yep i know elan and in fact ive done the same repair a week ago :P
milestricks
New-tral

PostPost by: Sea Ranch » Thu Mar 31, 2011 5:23 am

Excellent. I'll bite: what repair have you done on an Elan/Elan Plus 2 and how did it turn out?

Any pix would be great, too!

Thanks.
Sea Ranch
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: pereirac » Thu Mar 31, 2011 6:54 am

As Lotus themselves still make replacement chassis can you not order one from a main dealer in the US? Otherwise I would try Susan Miller here in the UK.

Carl
Carl

72 Elan Sprint
87 Excel SE
97 Alpina B10

http://www.lotuselan.co.uk
pereirac
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: jeff jackson » Thu Mar 31, 2011 5:34 pm

This debate is getting tasty!
Just my two penneth worth, and it's this. If you want to incur the wrath of the likes of Miles Wilkins, tell him you repaired your chassis.
I was always told they are not repairable because the heat from welders etc, can distort them, and bugger up the suspension geometry.
Jeff 72+2
jeff jackson
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: trw99 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 5:54 pm

If you do replace your original don't forget to keep it with the car, then you can show the continuous heritage! Just like the racing lads.

Soon we shall all be putting our old and U/S parts into neat boxes to be passed to the next owner. Imagine the scene: Well, here's the Elan ... and these boxes are the original car, of course.

Tim
trw99
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PreviousNext

Total Online: