Correct JPS badge

PostPost by: innesw » Tue May 24, 2011 11:06 am

Hi,
I recently bought a new special JPS badge for the front RHS wing off ebay, at least I thought I did. After digging out the old badge turns out its different, I think I might have bought a badge for the JPS Europa... What do you guys think? Or is my "original" one wrong? Susan Miller says she now sells the origanl badge, would be nice to know which one it is... :lol:

IMG_2619.JPG and
Old and New

Old one says "SPECIALLY BUILT TO CELEBRATE THE 50th G.P. WIN BY LOTUS"

Innes
(progressing slowly, really should have made a rebuild thread)
Innes
1965 Elan S2 (26/4681)
1973 Elan+2S 130/5 JPS
innesw
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Elanintheforest » Tue May 24, 2011 12:33 pm

I've only ever seen the top one, Innes, and I've looked at around 40 or so JPS cars over the years. But don't throw the bottom one away just yet! Just wondering if yours is a very early JPS that maybe had a one-off badge, or something like that.

Chassis 1476 is believed to be the earliest...is your anywhere near that?

Mark
Elanintheforest
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: innesw » Thu May 26, 2011 1:07 am

Hi Mark,

Sorry my JPS isn't early, it's chassis number is 73.08.1604, so I believe it to be a middle to late JPS. Spoke to Susan Miller and she stocks the same badges as my new one. I kind of like my old badge, :D you can't see in the picture due to the ageing but the font is different.

Or maybe they changed badges towards the end of JPS production, the original badge may have ran out of stock when they produced over 50 cars maybe? Who knows!

Innes
Innes
1965 Elan S2 (26/4681)
1973 Elan+2S 130/5 JPS
innesw
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Quart Meg Miles » Thu Dec 06, 2012 6:30 pm

Your old badge looks as though it was done by hand, the slope on the first word looks bad even for Lotus. Perhaps the original owner made it himself having measured a Lotus plate (and forgot the wording)!
Meg

26/4088 1965 S1½ Old and scruffy but in perfect working order; the car too.
________________Put your money where your mouse is, click on "Support LotusElan.net" below.
Quart Meg Miles
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elansprint71 » Sat Dec 08, 2012 8:18 pm

Quart Meg Miles wrote:Your old badge looks as though it was done by hand, the slope on the first word looks bad even for Lotus. Perhaps the original owner made it himself having measured a Lotus plate (and forgot the wording)!

Agreed! Was there not a period when these special badges were unobtainable (it has happened with other wing badges), perhaps this one was made up then? I've only ever seen the top one too, also... some batches of these wing badges have been susceptible to losing the wording quite quickly if attacked with car polish. I bought a Sprint one from C-N which lasted about four car-polishes!
elansprint71
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: innesw » Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:32 am

I think I'll be putting the correct badge on the car then, however I do like the "patina" on the incorrect badge quite a lot (looks better in the flesh than in the photo). So I might use it for something else (have a good piece of oak I could mount it on that is the perfect size...)

Yes Pete you can see in the middle of the incorrect badge where I took a very little amount of polish to the badge and it definitely won't stand-up to many more applications.

Thank you for the responses.

Innes
Innes
1965 Elan S2 (26/4681)
1973 Elan+2S 130/5 JPS
innesw
Third Gear
Third Gear

Total Online: