S4 DHC trunk (boot) layout

PostPost by: holywood3645 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:21 pm

Can anyone supply a layout drawing of the wooden pieces that fit on top on the boot floor?
Thanks
James
holywood3645
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: oldelanman » Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:38 am

Hi James,
There are three pieces which make up the floor....plywood over the spare wheel and over the gap between the fuel tank and the RHS body panal and a fibre board piece in front of the fuel tank. The tank top itself forms the rest of the floor.
Lots of useful info in this thread....elan-f14/boot-floor-t18011.html

If you need some dimensions of the wooden pieces let me know and I'll see what I can do.

Regards,
Roger
S4 DHC
oldelanman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: holywood3645 » Thu Jan 12, 2012 4:11 pm

The link supplies a good pattern for an S2 boot floor matt and is very useful. Thanks for the information, However, I still need somthing similar for the S4 wood pieces that fit together in the boot floor. I hope someone here has one the can take pictures off and maybe do a similar grid layout.
James
holywood3645
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: oldelanman » Thu Jan 12, 2012 6:39 pm

This sketch any good ?..........
Boot floor panels 002.jpg and

Let me know if you want some photos

Regards,
Roger
S4 DHC
oldelanman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: holywood3645 » Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:54 pm

Thats great, Thank-you!

Only 2 pieces ... right? not 3

James
holywood3645
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: oldelanman » Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:12 pm

holywood3645 wrote:Only 2 pieces ... right? not 3

Yes only two plywood pieces. There is a third piece made of pitched fibre board material (same stuff as the cockpit back panel) which just bridges the gap in front of the fuel tank.

Regards,
Roger
S4 DHC
oldelanman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: DaveAlmey » Fri Jan 13, 2012 8:07 am

Hi,

I'm facing the same problem as my rebuild had a heavy back end smash.

Any info on the brackets and there positions to hold the floor boards in place and diamentions of the fiberboard infill panel would be a help.

How should the wiring loom route and be fixxed in the boot area would also help

Thanks

Dave
Regards

Dave

Yes I know I cant spell, but can weld, spray paint, lay grp and rebuild engines.

69 S4SE DHC
DaveAlmey
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: AHM » Fri Jan 13, 2012 8:22 am

Roger,

Brilliant, just what I needed, thanks!

James, Dave,

Due to the nature of the infill panel it will probably need to be made to fit individual cars, so not much point in having dimensions - what we need is a picture of what it looks like.

Simon
AHM
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: oldelanman » Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:36 am

AHM wrote:Due to the nature of the infill panel it will probably need to be made to fit individual cars, so not much point in having dimensions - what we need is a picture of what it looks like.

Simon, that's probably true for the plywood panels as well...I would use my sketch to make cardboard templates first then adjust to fit your car before cutting the plywood.

DaveAlmey wrote:Any info on the brackets and there positions to hold the floor boards in place and diamentions of the fiberboard infill panel would be a help.

How should the wiring loom route and be fixxed in the boot area would also help

Dave, The large plywood panel is fixed by a single ball shaped peg and clip on the front edge and simply rests on the bodywork at the rear. No clips on the small panel to the RHS of the fuel tank it just rests on the tank and bodywork with a wooden batten on the underside stopping it sliding across the tank. The fibre board piece is attached to the body at the front edge and simply rests on the front edge of the fuel tank and the fuel pipe. There is a cut-out in the LHF corner of the large panel for the wiring loom and battery earth cable.
Attachments
Boot floor panels 015.jpg and
Boot floor panels 016.jpg and
Boot floor panels 011.jpg and
Boot floor panels 014.jpg and
Boot floor panels 010.jpg and
Roger
S4 DHC
oldelanman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: bast0n » Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:23 am

I know it says only TWO plywood pieces, but I have thought it wise to protect the fuel tank with another piece with thin rubber strips glued underneath. Looks nice and tidy and matches up the other two bits into a level floor. All covered in best carpet offcuts of course...............! :wink:

D
David
bast0n
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: abstamaria » Thu Aug 16, 2012 3:12 pm

This is all very useful to me. Many thanks, all!

Andy
abstamaria
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: holywood3645 » Thu Aug 16, 2012 4:31 pm

I also appreciate the info and sketches, I'm going took make one using cardboard and test fit. Will post if there are any issues.

Thanks again
James
holywood3645
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: YellowS4DHC » Thu Aug 16, 2012 4:54 pm

Roger
great pics, never really knew what it was supposed to look like back there, especially that hour-glass shaped post that fits in the body bracket. I'm using a loose fitting self tapping screw for that, but it's a PITA (have to unscrew) and just looks wrong. I guess I'll make one. What is the approx. length and diameter of the post?

Thanks
Rick

'69 Elan S4 DHC
'57 T1 Speedster
'67 S800 Coupe
YellowS4DHC
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: oldelanman » Thu Aug 16, 2012 5:47 pm

YellowS4DHC wrote:What is the approx. length and diameter of the post?

Hi Rick,
The peg is approx 25mm long overall and 9mm diameter - waisted to 5mm at mid length. The hex end is 9.5mm across flats. Screw thread measures 3/16" diameter x 32 tpi (10.32 UNF ?) but if you're making one up it really doesn't matter what thread you use.
Attachments
Boot floor panel peg 003.jpg and
Roger
S4 DHC
oldelanman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: YellowS4DHC » Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:20 pm

Roger

thanks for the photo and specs. I figure I can just grind down a ss bolt and get a pretty close copy.

Rick

'69 Elan S4 DHC
'57 T1 Speedster
'67 S800 Coupe
YellowS4DHC
Second Gear
Second Gear

Next

Total Online: