Amber side Repeater again?

PostPost by: Matt Elan » Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:38 pm

Hi Tim
Are you saying that the very early S4 Elan was fitted with Carello rear lights, the same as on the first 177 Plus 2s - part no 050 M 6010 / 6011. These were replaced at Chassis 178 with Lucas units 050 M 6059 / 6060 on the Plus 2 as documented in the Plus 2 parts list. The Elan parts list only shows 036 M 6051 / 6052 which are the Lucas units with the illustration showing the integral reversing light in the cluster as being fitted to the S4, with the Vauxhall units on the S3.
Are there any pictures of Elans with the Carello units - typically none of my S4 brochures show the rear of the car, and my road test library only shows the Vauxhall rears then the Lucas ones on the Elan - the only Carellos are on the first Plus 2 tests.
Matt
Matthew Vale - Classic Motoring Author
1968 Plus 2 - Somewhat cosmetically and mechanically modified
1969 Plus 2S - Currently undergoing nut and bolt restoration
Visit me on matthewvale.com
Matt Elan
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Mazzini » Tue Jun 18, 2019 6:26 am

Hi Matt,

Forgive me for jumping in, but I don't think Tim is saying that, I think he was talking about the wing repeaters on Elan's (not Plus 2's).

Weren't Carello rear lights fitted to early Europa's and 47's as well?

Many years ago, somebody told me that at the time Lucas were on strike and Chapman had already done the deal with Renault, so it made sense to try another foreign supplier, at worse, even if things didn't work out with Carello then it gave Lotus leverage over Lucas.

I think it was Mick Miller that said to me that Lotus never fitted Lucas wing repeaters to an Elan, but then he said that he fitted them when he painted a car because they looked better.

Regards,

Rob
Mazzini
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Matt Elan » Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:10 am

Hi Rob
No problem with anyone jumping in - after all its what I've just done in moving the thread from side repeaters to rear lights :oops:
Tim's post sort of implies that he was talking about the rear light clusters, and that's what I'm trying to confirm. It wouldn't surprise me if the Carello Rear light units were fitted but I've not found any proof - mind you thats normal when hunting down Lotus facts - it's never a straight answer.... I'd like to know as I'll cover it in the Elan and Plus 2 book I'm writing.

As regards the Europa Series 1 (and Type 47) units these were Carello but were different to those fitted to the Plus 2; The use of the Renault engine/gearbox in the Europa certainly shows Chapman was stretching his wings as regards component suppliers. Mind you, at the time the UK car industry only had the Imp engine/gearbox unit to offer as a lightweight package which could be adopted for a mid engined layout but the engine was too small and Renault certainly gave Chapman a very good deal.
All input is gratefully accepted!
Matt
Matt Elan
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: trw99 » Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:45 am

Matt, Rob is correct in that I was remarking on the Elan S3 side repeaters.

I merely mentioned a possible correlation between the Corello side repeaters of the Elan and the Corello rear light clusters of the first +2s

Tim
trw99
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: S3FHC » Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:28 am

I am quite happy that my Elan Coupe, being a standard May 1966 model, was never fitted with side repeaters!

Mark.
S3FHC
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Matt Elan » Wed Aug 28, 2019 2:38 pm

Just as a matter of interest, in Motor Sport, October 1966 review of the Elan Coupe S/E (reg SAR120D) the report mentions that he car was fitted with Carello repater lights (see page 895) on the front wings.
Matt Elan
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Mazzini » Sun Jan 16, 2022 9:43 am

The Lucas and Carello units side by side
Attachments
270048502_4879043218824663_6723891677289010248_n.jpg and
Mazzini