Sows Ear Chassis

PostPost by: garyeanderson » Wed Sep 05, 2012 2:48 am

Mark

The Marcos looks great and record time too. All I can say right now is "i'm tired, LFD" and I think I am taking tomorrow off.

taped off and ready to spray front.JPG and

taped off and ready to spray.JPG and

blacked out engine bay.JPG and

blacked out cockpit.JPG and

Gary
Wednesday September 5th 05:59 am

The photos I took this morning show I missed a few spots and I'll hit those areas of the shell again when I do the inner doors. Nearly 18 hours yesterday do "get her done" and I was like I said "tired", when I got up the lights were still on in the garage and downstairs, that rarely happens but with the 300 watt quartz lamp on all night it was nice and warm and the paint was dry :D

Gary

boot blackened dry.JPG and

under boot blackened dry.JPG and

engine bay blackened dry.JPG and

cockpit front blackened dry.JPG and
garyeanderson
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: garyeanderson » Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:38 pm

Took the tape off, looks pretty good :D

green unmasked.JPG and

cockpit unmaxked.JPG and

cockpit unmaxked front.JPG and

back under unmasked.JPG and

chassis back under - wait for paint to dry.JPG and
garyeanderson
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: memini55 » Wed Sep 05, 2012 2:13 pm

Now the day off? I see the other one is back inside as well.

Looks good.
memini55
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: gordont » Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:46 am

am I confused, I thought it was Gulf Blue?
Gordon
26/5416
gordont
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: memini55 » Thu Sep 06, 2012 1:42 pm

Hi Gordan,

You have to follow the post and process, Gary is building two S2's. One BRG and one in Gulf Blue.
He is a busy guy these days.

Hope all is well down under.
Mark
memini55
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: garyeanderson » Sat Sep 08, 2012 9:27 am

gordont wrote:am I confused, I thought it was Gulf Blue?

Hi Gordon

You think your confused? :)
What about me? This double resto is only the start to clear the plate so that I can get on with the rest.

Not a lot to report on in the way of progress, I got myself sucked into buying some stuff I didn't really need but the price was right and I have a weak mind when I have a few dollars in my pocket.
I ended up with the back of my pickup filled with stuff and its taken a couple of days to figure out where to put it. Old mother fu-ker Hubbard's cupboards aren't quite bare but I found a few places.
day off 1.JPG and

In any event I can't walk from the front of the garage to the back now with the green Elan body raised above the chassis. I need to get the body back down and to do that I need to get the engine and box installed. So I needed to pick one of the short blocks on the bench (lets see - been there since April 2003) and get it nearer the door. Thursday morning I took off the pressure plate, clutch and fly-wheel, looked at it for a while and thought "I know its weighs more than I do", grabbed the pig and slid it to the edge and sided stepped over the moving dolly and set it down. The only moment of concern was balancing on the prosthetic leg as it's got both toes broken already and I needed to shift myself over the dolly to set it down. This completed I needed to find some of the hardware that was in a box or can someplace and that took the rest of the morning. There is no room for an engine stand (I have a couple), so it sitting near the front door and I installed the oil pan and called it a day.
engine for 26-4020.JPG and

Yesterday I cleaned the tops of the pistons and discovered that it been bored .020 and thought that was a good sign as it may not have that many miles on it. I rounded up supplies and went to borough an engine crane so hopefully get the engine and gearbox back into the chassis before I drop the body back down. I guess I'll see how it goes this morning, with any luck it will happen later on today.

Gary

P.S. this is the 6 month update to the topic. Lots of stuff covered here.

11:30 am
I messed up and have forgotten about the core plug that was removed to surface the head a few months ago. I went to the auto parts store and they looked around and didn't have any. So I ordered a dozen and they will be here on Wednesday, the result is I had some time to kill so I taped off the machined surfaces and applied some "rebuild in a can", battleship gray and a bit of royal blue. This was a brush job as I didn't want to take it outside to spray.
rebuild with a brush.JPG and

September 11th 07:25am

Had a busy day yesterday, nothing much done but I was "fixi'en to get ready" as there is ten pounds of shit in a five bound bag I call my garage. To move the Elite shell, it involved moving 5 others. The only thing that wasn't moved was the Grantura mk2a as it fits as well as possible and there are a bunch of engines stored under it. Took till 9pm last night to finish moving cars and there is still a lot to do but it is going to wait until the pain mostly subsides. I wanted some room to continue to work on both of the Elan projects and with winter coming that was not a likely thing. Although the situation is not greatly better it is some what a bit more workable. Having 7 cars in a 20 x 36 foot garage is never going to be a comfy area to get things done but its what I have so I'll make do.

As things were before yesterday
out.JPG and

The start
everything out.JPG and

Elan Coupe as close to the road as it's been in many years.JPG and

Elite moved and 26-4020 ready for more work.JPG and

had to go some place.JPG and

moving on up.JPG and

This morning early
re-orged.JPG and
Last edited by Guest on Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
garyeanderson
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: garyeanderson » Thu Sep 13, 2012 12:27 am

Core plug for the cylinder-head face was in at 8:00am, I turned the lights out at 7pm. Another longish day :D

engine out the door.JPG and

twin cam meet your new home.JPG and

twin cam meet your new home1.JPG and

chassis slid out to the side.JPG and

custom pan and custom dust shield.JPG and

the approach.JPG and

dropping in.JPG and

angle.JPG and

close.JPG and

slave pulled back out.JPG and
garyeanderson
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: garyeanderson » Thu Sep 13, 2012 1:02 am

continued

just enough clearance.JPG and

close enough.JPG and

enine mount to chassis bolts finger tight.JPG and

body raised up to clear engine.JPG and

Plastic under the front tire has some oil on it to make sliding the chassis with the engine in it a bit easier for me.
going down.JPG and

going down1.JPG and

all settled in.JPG and

all settled in1.JPG and

all settled in2.JPG and

new digs.JPG and
garyeanderson
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: gordont » Thu Sep 13, 2012 1:43 am

Brillaint Gary, a great read and great pics...

Keep up the good work.
Gordon
26/5416
gordont
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: memini55 » Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:56 am

Good to see the old sow has now been mated. You have made great progress over the last six or so months.
Was good to see eveything out of the garage if even for a short day or so.

How long has it been since some of those have been out in the light of day?

Great movement!
Mark
memini55
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: pharriso » Thu Sep 13, 2012 3:53 pm

So Gary, how many cars do you have?? I count:

1 BRG DHC driver
1 S4 White FHC
1 Blue DHC car in restoration
1 Green car in restoration
1 Elite
1 TVR? + 1 bitsa
1 white LoCort
1 Green LoCort

I think you have a problem! :-)

p.s. good work
p.p.s. This is why my wife insists that I sell one car before I buy another
Phil Harrison
1972 Elan Sprint 0260K
pharriso
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: garyeanderson » Sat Sep 15, 2012 8:42 am

Not a lot that looks different from this point on. I did some sliding around under the green Elan today and put in all of the chassis to body mount bolts, tightened up the engine mounts, the prop shaft bolts were installed yesterday. Some other work like a bit of grinding on the holes of the heater support/dashboard lower mount to make it fit as its from another S2. I needed to temp in the dashboard to make sure that the holes lined up correctly. I thought I better get the heater plenum in soon so I looked at a couple and so far out of 3 they are all slightly different, I decided that this one will work and the drain is what was different, this mix and match with Elans is not what I would recommend if you are in a hurry.
rusty wiper motor and round shift knob.JPG and

I found the washer jets and put those in and grabbed a wiper motor assembly out of the pile. This may be the original, there were 5 in the pile and this one fits so I went with it. I will test it before the dash goes in and see if it works - maybe I should have done that first but I didn't.
heater valve missing.JPG and

I was working on the door latches, they don't look good but they do seem to function so I guess I will use them. I took a few photos of them, the "before" one (upper left). I sandblasted the door to catch mounts Thursday and they "blew through" in a couple places so I filled them. These were painted but I had some problems so they will be re-worked, I would rather have chrome but that is not in the budget or my time frame. If at some point I get a hair across my ass for "original everything" they may get swapped out for something better. I am still not sure on the paint color for the catch brackets, I hope to decide today, gloss black was not the right color.

Gary
work in progress - door catches.jpg and

02:45 pm

Things seem to go in both directions, some progress and some regression. I messed up a bit in that the solenoid needs to go in before the plenum so it came out. I wasn't pleased with the way the drain into the "one way grommet was pushed out by the plenum so I sealed it in place with ultra black RTV and will let it sit over night and see if it has kicked in the morning. I got the VIN plate secured with the original screws into the Tinnerman Nuts, messed up again and put the parking-brake in place and then tried to fit the pedals - WRONG! :)
goes the other way so the hand brake came out then the pedals went in and then re-installed the parking-brake. Pulled up on the lever and removed the blocks and trid to push the Elan off of the ramps and it held fast so something positive done.

parking brake works.JPG and

pedals hung.JPG and

I did some more sanding on the door catch brackets and they looked fair enough to try some more paint. I was thinking semi-gloss black but went with Deep green with about 15% flat black to take the shine off of them. I will see how they look when dry, it they still look shitty, I'll wet sand with 1500 and re-asses. They can always be sanded and painted again :)
deep green with 15 percent flat black.JPG and

September 16th 04:00 pm

Seems like very little progress today but I am quite happy with what I have gotten done. Air plenum has been in and out several times and the drain grommet issue that I was having yesterday is gone. I found a new solenoid so that went in Voltage reg installed as well as the firewall steering column clamp. I figured seeing I was doing this, I would write down the order so that the next time I go to do it I'll have something to refer to other than my bad memory. This is for the LHD S2 but a lot of it will crossover to the other Elans too. The order is not cast in stone but what goes in first should not interfere with the other stuff that goes in after. Here is my list

1 ) Battery cable
2 ) Rear harness
3 ) Plenum drain (RTV into place)
4 ) Washer jets
5 ) Wheel boxes and wiper motor - pivot for the LHD pedal assembly goes in first if you removed it
6 ) Fuse box
7 ) Starter solenoid
8 ) Firewall mounted steering clamp
9 ) Voltage regulator
10 ) VIN plate
11 ) Pedal Assembly
12 ) Hand-brake pull
13 ) heater hoses
14 ) Heater

Thats where I am at the moment, Most of the firewall grommets are in except for the speedometer cable grommet. I would have liked to have installed the heater hoses but I don't have it yet. I like the marine 1/2 inch stuff, I get 6 feet of it and feed in both ends from the engine bay side and then cut to length after. The hose is kind of big in diameter but I have installed it several times and it's U.S. Coast Guard approved so I figure that its good and will last quite a while.

heater installed.JPG and

vacuum cans and buckets in.JPG and

empty headlamp buckets.JPG and
garyeanderson
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: garyeanderson » Mon Sep 17, 2012 6:47 pm

Its been another few steps forward, stager a bit and then wobble back a bit and stager sideways some and then make a bit of progress. This is typical of how things seem to go so you just deal with it and make the best of it as this is supposed to be for fun anyway. I have been looking for the foot box closing plate that I had, I took some pictures of it back in February and its gone missing. I looked yesterday and some more this morning and its a no show. I found the pictures and that didn't help much to jog my memory. I decided to look for suitable material to make one from and I didn't find much and I really don't like cutting up other parts to modify so I found a roll of aluminum flashing and decided that it would work ok even though it was on the thin side (light weight right?). I made a pattern and it seemed to fit alright and then used a razor knife to duplicate the template on the rolled sheet of ally. I roughed it up with 400 grit wet paper that was in the bucket and wiped it dawn and used the black lacquer that I had bought to use as a guide coat when sanding prime (done with that for this year).

Lost parts so I eyeballed this one to fit.jpg and

So now I wanted to get the heater hose and I went to one of the better local marine stores and they didn't have 1/2 inch hose so they sent me down the road and they had 1/2 inch and 3/8 also, the 1/2 inch looked huge so I figured that I was that far I would just get both and gave them $18 and change. I get home and pull out the heater as the 3/8 inch is a bear to get on and the 1/2 won't go though the firewall (not a f-ing chance) so I do the right thing and just give up on that, I'll see if I can get what I have used in the past later this week.

I was working on installing the lights yesterday and didn't have bulbs so I stopped on the way home and got those, I needed new gaskets for the L551 rear lamps and I had some 1/4 urethane foam up in my trailer across town so I stopped there and found it (good shit sometimes happens) right where I thought it was. Found a glove box lid to and it still had the hinges on it so I grabbed that too. when I got home I went looking (and found) the x-acto knife in the draw (there were two) so I took the good one, Upstairs I found the compass and installed the knife in it and it was about an inch too long so I did the surgery and amputated the amount needed to be removed and measured the diameter I wanted for the gasket rings and cut the first one, it looked good so I did 5 more, re-adjusted the diameter and cut all 6 to make the gasket rings - tried one and it had a nice fit so one thing went right and I will get those installed later.

Gary

L551 taillamp gaskets.JPG and

L551 taillamp gaskets1.JPG and

September 19th 09:00 am
not much done but a little bit added to the engine bay
engine bay large.JPG and
Last edited by Guest on Wed Sep 19, 2012 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
garyeanderson
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: memini55 » Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:06 pm

Wait a minute, hold the press!
Number 10 doesn't matter and you aren't to remove that one. :-)

Mark
memini55
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: garyeanderson » Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:08 am

I was slacking off yesterday, went to lunch at Tiny's and while I was out I stopped at West Marine to see what they had for me to use for the heater hose. They had what I was looking for but not enough of it so they called another store and they also had a piece but again not enough so I ended up buying both. At $7.25 a foot I am into this luxury of having heat in the Elan for nearly $100 as I needed a piece 6 feet to be assured of getting it done and one was just over 4 feet and the other may be just enough at 5 foot and a bit but hose and wire are but hard to stretch so I paid the price to just "git'er done" and move on to other things. I hope that I can bring back the short piece and get some "lunch money" for the next trip to Tiny's. Oh yea, I got the name of this hose wrong and its a bit bigger than I remember but so it goes, I hope to get it installed today.

exhaust water hose.JPG and

Before I left I wanted to get something done, you know "get a little something done every day and it will get done before you know it" thought process, the boot board that I had for the roadster was separating from the 7/8 x 1 inch ribs so I glued them back into place.

type 26 boot floor board.JPG and

Today will be one of those days where not much of importance gets done. I stopped at Doe Orchards in Harvard as the jug in my avatar has been empty since late last fall and I took advantage of the unexpected great weather to help clean up under a some apple trees, spent about 3 hours getting a "few empty dog chow bags" loaded into the back of my pickup, maybe just shy of a "half a ton" so today will be a press the shit out of them day and fill up the jugs day :)

apples.JPG and

06:35am

So I wanted to get something done before I get out the press and get on with squeezing a few apples. Took a look at the job at hand and those grommets look like they are just a bit bigger in diameter than 5/8 inch and the hose looked closer to .800 inch so I thought I would need some help. I got out the Palmolive dish washing liquid and went to think for a bit and remembered I had a plumb bob that a friend gave me. The grommets are some kind of hard plastic (well thats what they seem like now) and I got the heat gun out and warmed the area with the grommet, I proceeded to make use of said tool and made the grommet into a one-way taper. I also tapered the end of the hose to assist in the penitration I wanted. The first one went in slicker than, well I guess I don't need to go there. The Second one involved the one in the right hand foot well and I got the area toasty warm and performed the act a second time, a few rotations of the hose and I could just see the start of the hose coming through the firewall and worked a bit harder on the job, I was starting to get warm and the friction was too great so out came Madge (aka Palmolive liquid lady) and a drop on the tip of my finger applied to the hose and a few turns had distributed it around the perimeter of the grommet and I was in (so to speak), not much left to do at that point then to put on the hose clamps and call it good, I even had enough with the 5 plus foot piece so I can get a refund on the other length of hose. Nice, the way things get done calls from real life :)

cheating.JPG and

hoses.jpg and
garyeanderson
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PreviousNext

Total Online: