Sows Ear Chassis

PostPost by: garyeanderson » Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:00 pm

Try this topic for dimensions

S1, 1.5 or 2 RHD glove box
elan-f14/rhd-glove-box-t25994.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You will have to add the "flaps" for the rivets (or screws and nuts) to assemble into a a box. I made several prototypes before I was satisfied. This was not a perfect production example but it will hold the registration and a couple of tools, My guess is the box would hold about 40 or more pounds of concrete as that is what the sonotube is for but the dash would likely give way after a while

Gary

glovebox pattern unfolded1.JPG and

April Eleventh 2013

Been a while since I updated this topic, winter was a long one. Lots of changes on the forum, it seems many gone dark, lots of new members with questions that have been covered in one way or another previously, a new look and feel around here. I'm not sure any of what has happened since I posted is good or bad but it is what it is. The new look with the smaller pictures sucks in my mind, I use a desk side pc, it's old like me, a free-be from my ex boss, I think the disk was wiped clean when I got it. I stuck the old hard drive with a trusty (rusty?) Windows 98 second edition in and let it do its thing, it found what it needed to function. I still have a dial up connections so the changes have impacted the performance. I guess I could have replied to this topic but there is some space in this topic left for some photos,

I got 4 bags of black beauty last Wednesday on the way to Tiny's for lunch and have been waiting for the "spring weather" to come. We had a couple of good ones this week, Monday was over 60 inland but around 45 along the coast, so I went north up to Bill's on Monday, this is what I found when I pulled in the driveway
Bill's type 45 chassis blasted.JPG and

It's good to see the infectious disease is spreading, I would hate to see this topic become as useless as many of the others. When I see people out doing and saving an Elan that once brought a smile to someone and it will be doing that again, it makes this topic worth while. It was nearly 70 degrees there and I had to take off the two hooded sweatshirts and wool sweater I had on, when I got home the two sweatshirts went back on as it was about 45 degrees here.

I was kind of inspired on Tuesday morning, I talked to Mark and it seems that the 1760 cc twin cam that he had built with some of the parts I had (which he bought so I could pay the quarterly property taxes) was up and running and bringing a big smiles. When I got off the phone, out cam the sand blaster and I started the new season at "March Motors".
new blast pit.JPG and

The sea breeze was a lot lighter and the temps got into the high 50's. Last December I had dismounted tires (not Tyres) from (8) bolt on wheels with the F250 and a short length of 2 x 12 to break the bead and a pair of bolt cutters to cut the wire bead. I pulled out 4 on Tuesday, I blasted a couple of the pitted ones first, that got me to about 2:30 in the afternoon and seeing the sun was out and I didn't have a prayer of finishing I cleaned up for the day, Kind of lame but you need to work into this stuff (smile).

nothing beautiful about these two wheels.JPG and

The weather continued to be pretty good, not as warm yesterday but nearly perfect for sandblasting with a couple of sweatshirts on. Black beauty has gone up and I used a bit over a bag (about 130 lbs), so about $35 and close to 10 hours to get 6 wheels blasted clean enough to paint.
6 wheels blasted - ready for paint.JPG and

I need to get some paint. The front and rear bumpers need paint too so I'll get something suitable for both wheels and bumpers. Maybe today I'll see what I can find.

Gary
garyeanderson
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Bud English » Thu Apr 25, 2013 4:42 pm

Gary- What's new at the East Coast elan factory, inquiring minds want to know?
Bud
1970 +2S Fed 0053N
"Winnemucca - says it all really!!"
Bud English
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Peter +2 » Thu Apr 25, 2013 5:13 pm

Gary - Welcome back, I look forward to your posts.

Peter
1968 +2 BRM
Peter +2
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: nomad » Sat May 04, 2013 3:17 am

Well, Gary, once again, I'm back to checking "Sow's ear" post's first!

Have a good year!

Kurt
26/3754
nomad
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: memini55 » Sat May 04, 2013 12:38 pm

Guys, don't look for Gary on net for sometime as he takes a break from Elan.net. and maybe long term.

Mark
memini55
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: RedS4 » Sun May 12, 2013 2:18 am

memini55 wrote:Guys, don't look for Gary on net for sometime as he takes a break from Elan.net. and maybe long term.

Mark

:( I have enjoyed following this topic. Come back soon Gary....
Evan J
Elan S4 FHC RHD 36/8569 AND White Evora S..
RedS4
Third Gear
Third Gear

Previous

Total Online: