PostPost by: Witofthestaircase » Mon Jun 04, 2012 6:56 pm

Anyone know how to assemble this little fella? Needless to say I don't! Russell
Attachments
RIMG0064.jpg and
Witofthestaircase
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: garyeanderson » Mon Jun 04, 2012 8:19 pm

I pulled one apart to get some photos and lucky I did because when I put the 2 screws back in it didn't work. I had to look at the 8 photos I took when I pulled it apart to understand how it went together. Looks rather simple and it is, the spring and the pivoting actuating engagement thing both need to go into the catch slide to work. Took about 2 minutes to find the dash with the catch, 10 seconds to find the screwdriver and about the same to pull the two screws, a minute to get the pictures and 15 minutes to put the bitch back together (and working again) :)

Hope this helps

Gary

glovebox catch.JPG and
This is the key picture, sorry its out of focus.

glovebox catch1.JPG and

glovebox catch2.JPG and
garyeanderson
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Jason1 » Mon Jun 04, 2012 8:28 pm

A few more pics of my spare one; just in case you need them.

Jason
Attachments
DSCF7443.JPG and
DSCF7441.JPG and
DSCF7438.JPG and
50/0951 1968 Wedgewood blue +2, 1990 Mini Cooper RSP
Jason1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Witofthestaircase » Tue Jun 05, 2012 9:32 am

Fixed at this mornings breakfast table whilst eating Shreddies. Many thanks to you both. I've added a second snap of a number 925 stamped on underside of the latch body. Is that going to help me get a key?
Attachments
RIMG0003_1624.jpg and
RIMG0002_1623.jpg and
Witofthestaircase
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: garyeanderson » Tue Jun 05, 2012 10:02 am

I guess that is probably what that number signifies. Not sure I would use it to actually lock something in the glove box though. Thieves don't care and will break and smash the dash and that will be more costly to fix than most anything that you think you may be protecting. Yes I have bought Elans where someone has done just that. Locks are for honest folks, thieves do care about much other than getting what ever it is they are after!

Gary
Attachments
880 - 169.JPG and
880 on the left and 169 on the right
garyeanderson
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: dpo#4 » Tue Jun 05, 2012 10:33 am

Hi guys,

This is a topic to which I can lend a story. In 1979 I had Russell's question, and now your pictures provide the answer. I went bodysurfing at Waikiki and had my bundled shirt, towel, glasses and keys swiped. What anyone does with prescription spectacles, I don't know. Got home, fetched my spare specs, went back to hot-wire the ignition and drive back. I had no other keys (young, carefree, broke) so I sliced through the cardboard glovebox and triggered the latch in order to disassemble it for access to the lock cylinder (Yes, I still have the box, and this was before I knew how to pick a lock). Took apart the ignition switch as well, and hand cut key blanks to fit. The latch is still in pieces today, as neither my friends nor I could ever get it to work, no matter what brand of beer we tried. An alternative solution arose a few years later when I made a new dashboard and installed a magnetic "Touch-Latch", the type used on cabinet doors. For those purists who are edging their chairs away from the screen in mild horror at these transgressions, I'll mention that the magnet's target was a rounded rectangle of steel that I cut from the mounting bracket of an ignition condenser of, say, a Chrysler. Could have been a Ford. I chose the bracket for its existing screw hole and plated finish. Worked a treat, as some would say. It was screwed into a home-made dash, so no real harm done!
I'm just having a little fun needling "purists", but I really do appreciate the restorations/rescucitations that appear on this site. The modified Elans are built to amazing standards as well. Some like beer warm, others like it chilled. "If you can call that beer..." and so on. What's truly impressive is that someone can put up pictures which solve a 33 year old Gordian Knot. In 1979 I'd have had to write a letter to...who? Many thanks to all who post. -Ray
dpo#4
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: Witofthestaircase » Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:33 am

Nice one Ray Not just me then!
Witofthestaircase
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: Jason1 » Tue Jun 05, 2012 4:21 pm

The number is also stamped on the barrel on my lock so I would guess it is the key number.

I also have the same lock that I bought as from an old Jaguar which is slightly deeper. I guess they had thicker wood on their dash?
50/0951 1968 Wedgewood blue +2, 1990 Mini Cooper RSP
Jason1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: TeeJay » Sat Jun 09, 2012 9:12 am

Thanks Gary & Jason, the photos helped sort out my latch. :)
Trevor
1968 Elan +2 50/0173
TeeJay
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Elan45 » Sun Jun 10, 2012 3:04 pm

I too had the same experience as Gary, although my motive was different. I had been experiencing difficulty with the latch prior to the accident, and so I took it apart to check for wear and to lube it. I'll bet I had closer to 30 minutes in getting mine back together and functioning.

The number stamped into mine was different to yours and Gary's, so I'm pretty sure it is the key number. If you're starting with no key at all, put an "FS" in front of the number and you're good to go.

When I moved the SS to Florida last wrinter, I forgot the key. I investigated buying a new one and if I'd had the number, I'd have ordered one. At the time, I didn't know it was on the latch barrel and my neighbor back in Ohio was able to mail me the key I'd forgotten. But I think Triple C or some of the other British car parts and accessory companies can supply new keys to a specific number.

Roger
'67 Elan S3 SS DHC
'67 Elan FHC pre-airflow
'67 Elan S3 SE upgrade to 26R by Original owner
'58 Eleven S2 (ex-works)
'62 20/22 FJ (ex-Yamura)
'70 Elan +2S RHD
'61 20 FJ project
'76 Modus M1 F3
Elan45
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Witofthestaircase » Sun Jun 10, 2012 9:22 pm

Thanks Roger Following your suggestion and motivated by a desire to bottom out the fix, I've just ordered keys from http://www.replacementkeys.co.uk although I am persuaded by Gary's neat argument that locks are for honest folks and I'll probably be leaving it unlocked. If only all Elan conundrums could be so easily and cheaply resolved as this one. I should probably quit now while I'm ahead!
Witofthestaircase
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: Tahoe » Sun Sep 23, 2012 11:43 pm

A good example of a search helping me. I needed to assemble 1 lock from 2 locks worth of parts and played with that lock for a good hour, before doing a search and finding the solution to the puzzle. Thanks Gary for the pictures! It's one of those assemblies that you think is easy to assemble until you start plying with it. The key was how the spring is located.
Tahoe
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: sveris » Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:35 pm

I have a spare that I won't be using - if anyone needs it. And, it's still in one piece!

Steve in Ohio
sveris
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: JLescenski » Thu Apr 23, 2020 9:23 pm

Can anyone tell me how to get the lock out. it looks like there are two small holes in the side of the bezel maybe with small screws, but cant get them out. Any ideas?

thanks,

John
65 Elan S2 - Basket Case at the moment
JLescenski
First Gear
First Gear

Total Online: