+2 Boot/trunk interior

PostPost by: Bigbaldybloke » Sun Mar 07, 2021 11:19 pm

Quick second question, what have people done to cover / protect the rear of the light fittings on the early cars.
Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine!
Bigbaldybloke
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: wotsisname » Mon Mar 08, 2021 2:18 pm

I also had evidence of a bracket under the parcel tray (just the holes were left). I remade the tray and rivetted an aluminium right angle underneath. I put in self tappers (x2) through the board (I have a fairly long phillips screwdriver).
For the rear most board - I have extended the vertical face past the back of the lights so that they foul on the boot sides at a sufficient angle to not be resting on the back of the lights. I made this from millboard (compressed cardboard type material) and put a crease in to create the bend and covered in carpet
This is self tapped to the boot/lock supports in a couple of places.
Hope this is useful
Adrian
1968 Elan plus 2 - project
2007 Elise S2 [modified with a Hethel 70th sticker (yellow)]
2000 Elise S1 - Sold
wotsisname
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Bigbaldybloke » Tue Mar 09, 2021 12:01 am

Thanks Adrian
Front boot board made and test fitted, as you mentioned, it’s fairly easy to secure the top of the board with a long screw driver. Removed it and gave it a good coat of Matt black paint prior to final fit tomorrow, material to protect the lights on order, will make a template tomorrow then that’s my bit done ready for the trimmer to fit the carpets.
Bigbaldybloke
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: HCA » Sat Mar 13, 2021 4:09 pm

Bud English wrote:Here are the dimensions of the board.
Rear Bulkhead.jpg

It's not clear in the photo, but A-A, B-B, and C-C are straight edges and parallel to each other. B-B is 5.25"" below A-A. If you divide the horizontal dimensions in half and measure from the middle you will get the angles needed at the ends. Clear as mud?

I think that H20 is correct. There may have been a thin sheet metal angle stiffener at the top edge of the board. You can see holes along that top edge and two holes by the light access holes where the panel attaches to the rear fiberglass. It's been about ten years since I took this thing apart. :roll:

Bud, I just stumbled across your dimensions almost by accident! A very useful drg - thanks.

My backboard is basically several carpets stuck together to be reasonable rigid, but with this info, I will make a decent one. Tell me, was it standard to have a veneer finish on this or was it carpeted?
Hal Adams
Evora S
Elan +2
HCA
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Bud English » Sat Mar 13, 2021 7:42 pm

It is covered with carpet. Leave enough carpet running past the top edge to glue to the top surface of the reinforcing angle. Cut out the opening at the strike plate for the boot lock.
Bud
1970 +2S Fed 0053N
"Winnemucca - says it all really!!"
Bud English
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: stugilmour » Wed Mar 17, 2021 5:36 am

For the rear bulkhead covering the tail lamp housings I just used the soundproofing mat glued to the carpet with no solid board.

Whatever you come up with, I figured the critical dimension is fitting two standard carry on bags side by side. My car has thin foam and carpet on the front bulkhead by the fuel tank and just carpet and felt on the rear. 22 inches is snug but fits.

Dr Google standard luggage size: 9 inches x 14 inches x 22 inches (22 centimeters x 35 centimeters x 56 centimeters).
Stu
1969 Plus 2 Federal LHD
stugilmour
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: draenog » Wed Mar 17, 2021 2:49 pm

I'm working on the boot at the moment, so I've taken some pictures of the back cover. Tatty but 100% original :)
boot1.jpg and

boot2.jpg and

boot3.jpg and
draenog
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: draenog » Wed Mar 17, 2021 2:53 pm

P.S. I attached two strips of velcro to the top flap of carpet so I could remove it without having to reglue it.
draenog
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Bigbaldybloke » Wed Mar 17, 2021 2:57 pm

Boot just needs carpet now.
Before and after pics showing the covers I made from aluminium sheet to protect the rear of the lights.
Attachments
A8306A37-6037-4DEA-8AA6-0C3A954772F6.jpeg and
D87A5872-2D52-4A54-82F6-B6D2A0AF786C.jpeg and
Bigbaldybloke
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: wotsisname » Thu Mar 18, 2021 12:43 pm

nice job on the covers
1968 Elan plus 2 - project
2007 Elise S2 [modified with a Hethel 70th sticker (yellow)]
2000 Elise S1 - Sold
wotsisname
Third Gear
Third Gear

Previous