Crash damage

PostPost by: PaulFinch » Mon Oct 17, 2016 12:26 pm

Well I had a bit of a coming together with the tyre barrier on the exit of Druids at Oulton Park on Saturday.

A damp, greasy, cold track comprehensively caught me out. I was through the corner and actually travelling in a straight line when I picked up the throttle and lost the back end in a fraction of a second. Near side rear corner hit first, then off side rear then dragged down the drivers side cracking the door and front wheel arch.

It seems the damage may look worse than it actually is, though obviously the entire boot section has been turned to splintered fibre glass. Thankfully the fuel tank didn't rupture but was thrown clear of the wreckage. The car still rolls, all four wheels are pointing in the right direction and I can't see any obvious chassis damage.
I'm going to need a new rear end section and then set about grafting it back on, though I haven't actually decided whether I'll attempt this myself or farm this out. More than one person has recommended Boss Motors (or A1 bodyshells s they were once called) for the replacement parts so will start there.

Does anybody have any experience of grafting on replacement sections?
Attachments
img_3247.jpg and
img_3246.jpg and
PaulFinch
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Mon Oct 17, 2016 12:38 pm

Sorry to see the damage but it good that the rest of the car is relatively undamaged and also you were unhurt. I have never had to do it but a few of my friends have had to do replacement sections over the years. A friend here lost the rear of his Elan in a race when a car speared back onto the track after spinning and collected his rear end and shear it off much like yours. He did a rebuild with a new boot section and it looked better than new, just takes time and precision to get it all lined up and bonded together. The cost of repaint after the repair is the hardest part given its cost :shock:

cheers
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Gray » Mon Oct 17, 2016 1:09 pm

Full sections are not too difficult to replace, much easier than adding 26R arches! Measuring everything in 3 dimensions several times over is essential. A long profile gauge is very useful. Leave a gap 10mm or so between sections and taper the panels to get a good joint from both sides. Aluminium strips and pop rivets to hold the new section in place. Use a roller to eliminate air and get the glass stands saturated.
Gray
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: KevJ+2 » Mon Oct 17, 2016 1:11 pm

Glad you're okay. Love the irony of the second photo besides the fuel pumps :lol:
KevJ+2
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: PaulFinch » Mon Oct 17, 2016 1:45 pm

KevJ+2 wrote:Glad you're okay. Love the irony of the second photo besides the fuel pumps :lol:

Thanks. Yes, I thought that was an opportunity too good to miss!
PaulFinch
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: billwill » Tue Oct 18, 2016 10:20 pm

What happened to your silencer; did it rip off at the back or did the whole pipe pull out of your Y piece near the front?

You have an ideal opportunity now to turn it into another Elanbulance.. Though that might not be a good racing shape. :lol:
Bill Williams

36/6725 S3 Coupe OGU108E Yellow over Black.
billwill
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: PaulFinch » Wed Oct 19, 2016 8:40 am

billwill wrote:What happened to your silencer; did it rip off at the back or did the whole pipe pull out of your Y piece near the front?

You have an ideal opportunity now to turn it into another Elanbulance.. Though that might not be a good racing shape. :lol:

Ripped off at the back, used it as a crumple zone....
Attachments
img_3261.jpg and
PaulFinch
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: PaulFinch » Sun Feb 17, 2019 8:29 am

Well, it?s taken two years longer than I anticipated, mostly due to new family arrival, but my car is almost back in one piece.

Painted the shell last week and spent yesterday flatting and polishing. It isn?t perfect but pretty pleased with how it looks.

Now the question is am I brave enough to take it back on the track?!
Attachments
8d38982e-0387-4496-bf66-bdf46b211a12.jpeg and
4d7b694b-8309-48dc-b8ca-a082d602762b.jpeg and
7344df09-2d65-483b-906c-9efe68798dc6.jpeg and
PaulFinch
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Certified Lotus » Sun Feb 17, 2019 12:03 pm

Paul, Looks very good. Going back to the track is a big adjustment for some of us.

I totaled my Exige S at the track on a rainy day when I hit a small patch of oil coming out out a corner and already straight. Rear end came around so fast that I put both feet in and held the wheel straight when I hit the wet grass and just went for the ride backwards to the Armco.

Sold the wrecked car (can?t repair an Exige chassis) and built a new track car (same model). Took 4 months to build a new car........took me a year to get my wits back. I was a much better driver after that, but I never drove 10/10ths again. 4 years later I had a glorious weekend at a three day track event and when I went home announced to my wife I was retiring from track days and sold the Exige S. I had a wonderful 9 years of track events but realized it wasn?t a matter of if......but when it would happen again. I have never looked back and don?t miss it at all.

Of course I replaced racing with restoring classic Lotus cars and enjoying every moment. It?s much safer, costs much less money, create my custom modifications to my liking and I work at my own pace.
Glen
05 Elise - Back where I started
65 Elan S2 - 26/4055
72 Europa - 74/2358R
69 Elan S4 - 45/7941
64 Elan S1 - 26/0379
12 Colin 30 - Lotus Racing Kart
07 Exige S - Wicked Road/Track Car
07 Exige S - Fast Road/Track Car
06 Elise - Track pack
Certified Lotus
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: englishmaninwales » Sun Feb 17, 2019 7:05 pm

photo-1.jpg and

Paul, good to see your repair is coming along nicely, looks first class.

It was a difficult decision for me to return to the track or not. I spent 18 months over the rebuild (loads easier than your Elan), but in the end it was my wife who persuaded me to get back into competition again. 3 seasons on I am still unable to match my old hillclimb times, but really enjoying the racing, the banter, the adrenalin and excitement etc.

I hope that helps!
Malcolm
1966 Elan S3 Coupe
1994 Caterham 7
englishmaninwales
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: S3FHC » Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:38 pm

Hello Paul,

that looks pretty bloody good to me! (a lot healthier than the last time that I saw her!)

Mark
S3FHC
Second Gear
Second Gear

Total Online: