Door window weatherstrip chrome trim

PostPost by: Elseezed » Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:55 pm

Is the chrome trim that fits the early +2 still available, see photo?
img_0366.jpg and
Weatherseal and trim

When I removed mine, found it mainly held on with sealant and the seal was fitted to the outside of the door. Should it be fitted on the glass side of door?
Thanks Les.
Elseezed
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: mbell » Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:51 pm

They fasten to clips that are screwed on. Similar to the under sill trim clips.

The screws go through the clip, the fiber glass door skin, the rubber "seal" and a rear piece of metal screwing into clips fitted to that metal piece.

The screws are quite short and need to be so they don't come into contact with the glass if the door flexes.
'73 +2 130/5 RHD, now on the road and very slowly rolling though a "restoration"
mbell
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: RichC » Thu Apr 13, 2017 7:29 am

pop rivets rather than screws surely!?
RichC
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: EPC 394J » Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:41 am

pop rivets rather than screws surely!?

No.

The under sill trim strips use pop rivets for the clips, as they are mounted into the fibreglass.

However as mbell correctly explains, the clips for the door strips are secured by small screws that pass through the clip, the fibreglass, the rubber strip, and then locate into second clips on a metal bar in the window frame.

Study the parts manual, under "door-panels".

Though the rubber, screws, and clips (two different types!) are available from the usual suspects, I believe the door waist finishing strips are now unobtanium?
Where, then, lies the answer? In choice. Which shall it be: bankruptcy of purse or bankruptcy of life?

Plus 2S

BLL 315H in white.
EPC 394J
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Bud English » Thu Apr 13, 2017 2:01 pm

I just bought door waist finishing strip clips from Paul Matty last month.
Look under body, clips and fasteners- ?0.30 each

Edit: Totally misread that last line in the previous post. Thought it said the clips were unobtanium. I'll go get another cup of coffee now. :oops:
Bud
1970 +2S Fed 0053N
"Winnemucca - says it all really!!"
Bud English
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Elseezed » Thu Apr 13, 2017 4:26 pm

Thanks all. The chrome trim I was told originally was metal, the trim I took off my doors is chrome plastic in a U profile 15mm wide, the type on Mini gutters and wheel arches.
So at the next classic car show I will be just looking at metal and plastic chrome trim, did see a picture of an MX5 with a similar chrome trim on the door, now where's that tape measure.
For now Les
Elseezed
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Chris5360 » Sat Apr 22, 2017 3:22 pm

Mine are metal chromed, someone at some point has screwed through them to hold them on though
Chris5360
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Elseezed » Sat Apr 22, 2017 8:10 pm

The search still goes on. Looking at Rover 75 and 800, size looks about right.
Bought some stick on chrome strip 15mm, as a last resort.
Les.
Elseezed
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Elseezed » Sat Aug 26, 2017 9:20 am

Chrome trim found, well the nearest to original. it's from a MG Midget body side trim as the stall at Tatton Park was full of Midget parts. Had to cut to length with cut end hidden behind front trim.
Bresco have the fixing clips, had to file to fit, took out the pop rivets and used self tappers from SJ.
imag1634.jpg and
Chrome trim

Les.
Elseezed
Second Gear
Second Gear

Total Online: