Plus 2 Fascia Labels Proof . . . Opinions requested

PostPost by: Sea Ranch » Fri Oct 06, 2017 6:05 pm

Greetings.

I have been hard at work (rather, my son-in-law has) developing images for the up/down/left/right arrows and the "rotational" arrow found on Plus 2 fascias.

With Scott's (SnowyElan) kind permission, I have contacted the producer of the run of fascia decals he developed and offered for sale this year (see: lotus-chassis-f36/fascia-decals-t38467.html). I have just received a pdf proof from the company, a portion of which I have attached below.

This pdf below shows a few of the words from the sheet, along with the new arrows. We have paid careful attention to the arrows and their scale in relation to the text (I have also attached a pic of an original dash from my Feb 1970 Plus 2S Federal). I believe the arrows look pretty good. I will say, though, that my car's fascia does not have the rotational control on the bottom right, and thus I cannot properly assess the scale of that arrow. We have done our best, based on very poor pix.

I am asking for thoughts on these arrows, and any other comments. Hopefully, I will close this process in about 7 days. I will then make any necessary adjustments and open a new thread in the For Sale section of the forum, and offer these labels.

From the pricing I'm seeing from the supplier, it will be similar to Scott's offering. I will not take a profit from this first run of labels. Just enough to recoup manufacturing costs, packaging, shipping (and one free set for me :mrgreen: ).

The complete list of words on the sheet is as follows:
3 each of DEFROST WINDOW FAN WINDOWS HEATER ON HOT WARM COLD INT SCREEN WINDSHIELD WINDSCREEN INTERIOR REAR OFF HAZARD PARK BRAKE BRAKES FAIL WIPE WASH PANEL HEADLAMPS HEADLAMP CHOKE LIGHTS CIGAR DRIVING LAMPS FAST FUSES PULL FOG OIL TEMP (along with 3 each of the aforementioned rotational, left, right, up and down arrows)

So . . . thank you in advance for your thoughts and insights.

Regards,

Randy

Lotus Elan +2 Fascia Labels proof 2.pdf
(62.42 KiB) Downloaded 372 times

elan-plus-2s-federal-fascia-labels.jpg and
Sea Ranch
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Gordon Sauer » Sat Oct 07, 2017 10:21 pm

Here is a photograph of the turning arrow that you can see looks to be a little bit closer to semi circular and the arrows have a bit longer shaft, these being taken from my original dash by the silk screen company that made up my template and silkscreened my lettering. Gordon Sauer
Attachments
image.jpeg and
image.jpeg and
Gordon Sauer
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: mbell » Sat Oct 07, 2017 11:55 pm

I am not sure mine is original but a good chance given the condition...
Attachments
20171007_182912.jpg and
Light switch
20171007_182924.jpg and
Arrow
20171007_184021.jpg and
My measurements
'73 +2 130/5 RHD, now on the road and very slowly rolling though a "restoration"
mbell
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: jono » Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:24 am

..close but no 'CIGAR'?
jono
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Bud English » Mon Oct 09, 2017 5:35 pm

:D
Bud English
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Sea Ranch » Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:00 pm

(Sorry for the delay . . . away for Canadian Thanksgiving weekend)

Americans to the rescue (and some humour from the Brits!) (Jono, "CIGAR" is included in the list . . . don't know what you're talking about! :wink: )

As for the arrows, the left-right-up-down ones were modeled on those from my car. The basic arrow is symmetrical and all four are identical except for their rotation. So I could simply have had one orientation with a number of copies and the dry rub page simply rotated. As it is, you won't have to rotate the page to apply the different orientations which may help in getting them applied plumb and level.

The left-right-up-down arrows that are shown in Gordon's pix are definitely different from mine and Mr Bell's. Not so short and squat. The arrows on my proof are scaled to the text on my car quite well, with the up-down ones only a tad taller than the text. Gordon, I don't know what to say . . . I don't think I'm prepared at this time to commission another arrow shape from my son-in-law (he's pretty busy with a new job and closing out the old, and I'm anxious to get a set of these to move my own car's fascia along). I do hope the existing short-squat arrows will be acceptable to you (if you're actually in the market for labels). Please pm me if you're desperate for an alternative. The company I'm using will charge for any design work, so I'm trying to get it done independent of them to keep costs down.

As for the rotation arrow . . . The one on my proof is drawn with a radius of 0.55" from center to midline of the arrow's shaft. This I deduced from the .5" hole in the fascia for controls, and eyeballing the diameter of the control's base and the spacing from the circumference of the control base to the arrow. The arrow runs through approximately a 90 degree rotation. I believe the shaft thickness and pointy head size are pretty good scale compared to all pix I've seen so far. The arrow can, of course, be placed as close or far away from the control as one wishes, but nice to get the radius pretty accurate so that the arc of the arrow follows that of the control's base.

Yes, this all sounds quite technical, but without a rotational arrow/fascia example in my hands, I have to make some assumptions and calculations.

Okay, hope this addresses some of your comments. I am standing by for further thoughts, ideas and arguments, and will wait perhaps till week's end before finalizing and submitting to my producer. I will do whatever I can to accommodate your concerns and am willing to be corrected (especially by high resolution, well-focused pix of original fascias with rulers laid by the arrows :mrgreen: )

Regards,

Randy
Sea Ranch
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Sea Ranch » Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:06 pm

BYW, FWIW, I measure the "up" arrow on my proof as:
0.280" wide, 0.135" high, the base or shaft 0.160" wide. These are taken from a print-out of the pdf and are thus approximate as all printers stretch the image a little in different places as they print.

Regards,
Sea Ranch
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Sea Ranch » Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:20 pm

Now accepting orders for these Elan and Plus 2 fascia labels :mrgreen:

Check out this forum thread, in the For Sale section: Elan & Plus 2 Fascia Labels . . . now taking orders :)

lotus-parts-f33/elan-plus-fascia-labels-now-taking-orders-t40557.html
Sea Ranch
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: