Crash pad vs. windscreen reassembly sequence

PostPost by: 0005K » Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:03 pm

S4 is at a body shop after fiberglass repair and full repaint. Windscreen is out (and now broken) awaiting installation of a new one. Original crash pad is also out. Should I install the crash pad BEFORE the shop installs the windscreen? It may be easier with the windscreen out. I don't think it should require much adhesive. I was thinking of using simple rubber cement / contact cement. Defrost vents are loosely attached to crash pad currently.
Dick
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: elanfan1 » Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:17 am

I think it's better fitted after the screen. No risk of damaging it. Don't use much glue you never know when you'll need to get it out again. Double sided tape strip should do it remember its screwed in via the vents anyway.

Bit of satin or Matt black on the fibreglass where the pad meets the body will hide any gaps.
Steve

Silence is Golden; Duct Tape is Silver
elanfan1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Elan45 » Mon Mar 19, 2018 2:01 am

Just from memory, I think the pad needs to go in 1st. Very difficult to get a screwdriver into the screws which hold the vent grille in place. Last time I had my S3-SS drop head painted, I replaced the screen, but did not remove the crash pad. I all went back together fine.

Roger
'67 Elan S3 SS DHC
'67 Elan FHC pre-airflow
'67 Elan S3 SE upgrade to 26R by Original owner
'58 Eleven S2 (ex-works)
'62 20/22 FJ (ex-Yamura)
'70 Elan +2S RHD
'61 20 FJ project
'76 Modus M1 F3
Elan45
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: nmauduit » Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:56 am

0005K wrote:S4 is at a body shop after fiberglass repair and full repaint. Windscreen is out (and now broken) awaiting installation of a new one. Original crash pad is also out.

just a word of caution, depending on the eventual carelessness of the shop: the car should not be moved around pushing on the crash pad (it's tempting do that when the doors are off or the glass down), original ones are not always as pliable as they used to be (aren't we all?), and are likely to crack if mishandled... you may want to wait till the day the windscreen is put back to reinstall the original crash pad, and get the car back at the end of the day. been there...
S4SE 36/8198
nmauduit
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: 0005K » Mon Mar 19, 2018 5:22 pm

Thank you to all.
As it appears that it may be possible to install the crash pad afterwards, I'll wait for the shop to install a new windscreen; once their glass source locates one. (I know this is not the sequence that the Brian Buckland book suggests). There will be geometry challenges with the windscreen in place, but hopefully not insurmountable.
The VIN plate has been reinstalled.
I'll double check the position of the Phillips vs. Tennax posts retaining the demister grilles and nozzles.
Depending on any warpage, I'll try thin foam backed tape on the backside of the original S4 foam-backed vinyl covered crash pad. It has only been disassembled for 38 years.....
I'll update ASAP.
Dick
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: webrest7 » Fri Mar 23, 2018 12:13 pm

Some years ago I put mine in without taking the windscreen out. A prick of a job and there and then I decided if it was to be done again the windscreen was coming out.
No ifs , no buts.
If the screen is already out, for me it's a no brainer.
I can't see the factory mucking around doing it as an after thought.
Good luck with it whatever way you go.
webrest7
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: 0005K » Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:44 pm

Fortunately, the body shop loosely put the crash pad & demisters in before installing the windscreen. I agree it was best to put it in first due to geometry. I tightened up the two demister grilles and added the Tennax fasteners at the ends of the pad. Seems tight and straight without adhesives. I'm not sure I need to loosen it all up and try to sneak tape or adhesive between the foam pad and the body fiberglass. It was originally glued 48 years ago, It was off for 38 years but does not appear to be warped. Thoughts?
Dick
Second Gear
Second Gear

Total Online: