New Frame On Elan S4se

PostPost by: bs982367 » Fri Feb 13, 2004 11:32 am

My frame being heavily rusted , I have to fit a new one. I am wondering which one could be the best for fast road use and track days.

So the choice is quite wide:
- 26 R lightweight frame
- genuine frame
- Spyder
- any other one
As I also intend to fit another gear box (5 speed Sierra ?) - maybe the Spyder could be the solution.
Who can help me ?

Many thanks.

Edouard de Grand Ry
S4SE Elan 1969
bs982367
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: elansprint71 » Fri Feb 13, 2004 12:12 pm

Ed,
If you are going to fit the Sierra box then I would think Spyder would be the simplest way. As you probably know, their chassis is designed to take this without modification.

I am currently fitting a Spyder chassis to my car but with the original 4 speed box.

Cheers,

Pete
elansprint71
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: steveww » Fri Feb 13, 2004 5:13 pm

My S4 SE has a Spyder chasis but again with the good old four speed box. If you are looking at track days I would go for the Spyder roll cage as well.
steveww
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: steve » Fri Feb 13, 2004 6:02 pm

isnt the spyder rollcage only about 2ft tall so in a roll over your head will be mush :huh: :blink: can't beat the spyder chassis though far superior to lotus chassis ,unless your a purist :o arrrrrrrrrrrrr who cares

full saftey devices ,rear cage, front cage ,low side intrusion ,high side intrusion , dash cross brace ;) you know it makes sense :)
"everyone wants a piece of me and it hurts "<br>when my right leg starts shaking thats when i know i am having fun !
steve
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: bs982367 » Mon Feb 16, 2004 12:32 pm

Many thanks for all of you who sent me information.
It appears that the Spyder is a much better choice (I shall keep my genuine one just in case as a spare one).
My last question is to know if the lightweight 26R frame is better than the Spyder one ?
Many thanks.

Edouard
bs982367
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: steveww » Mon Feb 16, 2004 9:45 pm

If you want to fit a 5 speed box then the Spyder is the only option. AFAIK the 5 speed box will not fit straight in to the 26r chasis. I would think the 26r is best for racing and the Spyder would be better for the road. I would think that the 26r would be lighter. You could get the weights from TTR and Spyder.
steveww
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: miked » Wed Feb 18, 2004 2:24 pm

Another point about the Spyder chassis is that it is an accurate build. I ordered and rejected two lotus chassis's after putting the tape measure across them. Hot dip galv' may have an effect, but not the two I measured. They were out above heat distortion.
If being original means having a funny shape chassis I dont want to know about originality and will go with a Spyder every time.

The before and after service is good with Spyder

Mike
Mike

Elan S4 Zetec
Suzuki Hustler T250
Suzuki TC120R trailcat
Yamaha YR5
Suzuki Vstrom 650XT
Suzuki TS185K
miked
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear