Vitaloni Mirrors for S4 SE - Original vs Repro

PostPost by: trw99 » Thu May 31, 2018 6:27 am

[/quote]On edit: Please understand that Chunky's credit was seldom in good standing with various parts suppliers. The procurement department had to get creative to provide a supply of parts to the production floor. There may have been several suppliers of side view mirrors at that time.[/quote]

Whilst the above statement is correct, the factory never supplied wing mirrors as standard with the Elan. They tended to be a dealer fitment in the UK. This was the case with most car manufacturers at the time.

The situation in Federal markets may well have been different and the importer may have been required to fit them for certain states.

Tim
trw99
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: 1owner69Elan » Thu May 31, 2018 7:10 am

I can only say my Federal car came delivered, at the Hethel factory, with the driver?s side mirror. I was there. Fitted by the factory.

Undoubtedly this was a federal regulation along with the the other requirements that differed from UK models (side reflectors - front and back, octagon knock off nuts, smogged engine, headrest seats, etc). Most likely not an importer option but US government regs that Lotus had to comply with for acceptance of the car at US port of entry.

These federal compliance things appear to me in some cases to be a bit of an afterthought. For example, my rear side reflectors (obviously sourced from the general Lucas parts bin) appear to be ?slapped on?. They?re not even installed straight. Not done by a DPO, but the factory.
'69 Elan S4 SE
Street 181 BHP
Original owner
1owner69Elan
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: TonyL » Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:23 pm

Did you get a replacement mirror glass yet. I have one that came from the old smaller version. Mine had a crack and the chrome was flaking off it I kept the mirror and tossed the rest. I replaced it with the slightly bulkier version. Let me know if you need it. It is somewhere safe. I just need to remember where that is.
TonyL
New-tral

PostPost by: 1owner69Elan » Tue Jun 05, 2018 12:05 am

At the moment I just installed the larger version (and with convex lens) on the drivers side to see if I like it. Haven't tried it out yet.

I guess the convex lens on the drivers side is not legal here in the US (unlike elsewhere) . But figure it's worth seeing if it gives me a better view. Highly unlikely I would ever be cited for an "illegal mirror"!

Still have the option of going back to the smaller versions - in which case your mirror would be useful. We'll see.

BTW, doing further research on the Vitaloni Sebring mirrors I discovered that they originally came in metal, instead of plastic, although not on a Lotus I don't believe. Rather, Ferrari's and such. The metal ones go for close to $2K / pair, if you can find them!
'69 Elan S4 SE
Street 181 BHP
Original owner
1owner69Elan
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: colin55 » Tue Jun 05, 2018 1:34 pm

Hi all
Just as a matter of interest I have recently purchased two new ?Classic Sport Wing Mirror Sebring? from Auto-Bella via eBay in the UK and as far as I can see they are identical in every way to the original Sebrings I fitted to my Europa in the seventies. They have the same thin chromed plastic shells with the ?Sebring MACH1? logo imprinted on them. They were a bit pricey at ?69 each but personally I prefer the look of the thin shell compared to the thicker shell used on the Vitaloni mirrors. All a matter of personal preference obviously. As is well known the passenger mirror is not of much use for actually seeing anything but they do look good!!!

Colin
colin55
New-tral

PostPost by: abstamaria » Wed May 27, 2020 1:22 pm

I had missed this thread, but it was just pointed out to me. I have nothing really to add, but just wanted to post this recent photo of the original Sebring mirrors, purchased in the mid-1970s.

Andy

A7282121-4251-448D-9040-9A41CE529C75.jpeg and
abstamaria
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: abstamaria » Wed May 27, 2020 1:28 pm

I an not sure whether the original Sebtings were by Vitaloni. That name doesn’t appear anywhere on the box or, unless I missed it, on the mirrors themselves. The importer in the 70s is a friend, and he says they were manufactured in Germany. I prefer the black ones to the chrome versions. I painted the shell body colour on my Elan.

Here’s another photo. Note the Zeiss sticker.

39A63A56-58E4-4AEB-A693-90F4F138258A.jpeg and
abstamaria
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: HCA » Wed May 27, 2020 1:37 pm

There are three boxes in the background - might this indicate that one is for sale??
Hal Adams
Evora S
Elan +2
HCA
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: abstamaria » Wed May 27, 2020 1:48 pm

No, I’m afraid not. I’ve had them for some 45 years, and they’ve become a precious store!

Andy
abstamaria
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: HCA » Wed May 27, 2020 1:57 pm

I think I might have jumped the gun anyway - a quick look and mine are in fact different after all.

Might anyone know what this mirror is? I only have one on the drivers side and no indication there was ever anything fitted to the passenger side.

Sorry - the photos have a mind of their own and turning 90 degrees away from how I took the photo..

IMG_0455.JPG and

IMG_0456.JPG and
Hal Adams
Evora S
Elan +2
HCA
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: My72Sprint » Wed Jun 03, 2020 12:41 pm

I purchased my 72 Sprint in 1982. The mirror as shown in the 1982 photo was black plastic. Sure looks like a match for Vitaloni Sebring Mach I Mirror, Black found @ various suppliers. No clue if this was the origional or not.
Attachments
Sprint_Driver_Mirror.jpg and
Tim Bartlett, Sprint 183K
My72Sprint
Second Gear
Second Gear

Previous

Total Online: