Elan S2 window lock spring

PostPost by: PaulH » Thu Sep 06, 2018 7:48 pm

Can anyone help me find a replacement small spring steel piece that is fitted to the door window lock on the Elan S2 ? One of mine is missing; probably fell off due to lots of corrosion. Maybe a bit of a long shot, but I thought that someone might have remade some.
wp_20170305_095.jpg and
Window lock spring
wp_20170114_189.jpg and
Window lock with spring steel piece
66 Elan S2
PaulH
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Frogelan » Fri Sep 07, 2018 7:29 am

Paul,

I have no idea where to get the spring...but perhaps someone could also help as I need both the 2 springs and window locks !

There are quite a few spring makers around...
1965 Lotus Elan S2 26/4022 (originally Dutchess Lotus East, PA and NJ Area, USA)
Frogelan
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Maulden7 » Fri Sep 07, 2018 9:09 am

I've never seen these available anywhere (fortunately mine are ok) but I would guess the problem approaching a "spring maker" would be the minimum order quantity needed.

I do know a guy (a "one man band" machinist) located in North London who is happy to make small batches of just about anything in any metal (he's made bits & pieces for me) but he will need an, accurate & fully dimensioned drawing to work from.

If someone can provide this I will ask him for a price to get say 20 pairs made (it will be largely labour costs of course - I would guess that the material price will not be great) but the cost / number might be dictated by the size of the appropriate sheet metal that is available.
Maulden7
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: PaulH » Fri Sep 07, 2018 6:42 pm

Thanks for the replies. I'm going to have a go at making some. I've been reading up on what type of steel is required and I have access to a small furnace for heat treatment, so if I can get the correct material I'll make some. If I'm successful I'll make a post about it.
66 Elan S2
PaulH
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Barney » Fri Sep 07, 2018 7:05 pm

I would be looking for the proper visible actuating lever that attaches to the pivot assembly.
In your picture you have a black bolt/shaft but mine has broken off but is close to a toggle switch on a longish (1?"?) chromed stem. [Sorry no picture]
Elan S2 DHC (26-4399),
Barney
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Elan45 » Sat Sep 08, 2018 8:13 pm

How wide is the spring? I have some locksmith's spring stock, perhaps an 1/8 in to 3/16 wide. It is formable w/ simple tools. Roger
'67 Elan S3 SS DHC
'67 Elan FHC pre-airflow
'67 Elan S3 SE upgrade to 26R by Original owner
'58 Eleven S2 (ex-works)
'62 20/22 FJ (ex-Yamura)
'70 Elan +2S RHD
'61 20 FJ project
'76 Modus M1 F3
Elan45
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: PaulH » Sun Sep 09, 2018 6:55 pm

Elan45 wrote:How wide is the spring? I have some locksmith's spring stock, perhaps an 1/8 in to 3/16 wide. It is formable w/ simple tools. Roger

The spring is 3/8" (9.5 mm) wide. So do you think if I look for a clock spring that wide I could use that as a source for the material to make my own?
66 Elan S2
PaulH
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: nmauduit » Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:57 am

PaulH wrote:The spring is 3/8" (9.5 mm) wide. So do you think if I look for a clock spring that wide I could use that as a source for the material to make my own?

rather than trying to find some old clock spring, you may source relatively cheaply some spring band steel of your liking, e.g. (result of a quick search, no afiliation on my part):

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Spring-band- ... SdC2cdKYqg

thickness will have a major impact on stifness, but you may cheat by grinding some cuts to tune it down if need be...
S4SE 36/8198
nmauduit
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: bigvalvehead » Mon Sep 10, 2018 7:18 pm

These are the parts that will soon be available in stainless mirror finish. Just fine tuning the shape of the locking lever.

Dave Hughes
Attachments
img_5070.jpg and
img_5069.jpg and
Dave Hughes
S2 26R
Elan DHC Sprint
Shapecraft Honda powered S1(in progress)
Turbocharged 26R clone (also in progress)
Evora 400 development car ex Lotus Factory
bigvalvehead
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: sonunet » Sun Nov 10, 2019 3:16 pm

Hey Paul -- I've been looking for this springs for quite a while. I saw in your video that you made a few extra.
Wondering if you would consider selling two of them? Also, do you have a pattern for the lock? I'm about 90% done with my S2 project with a few hard to find parts like this left.

PaulH wrote:Thanks for the replies. I'm going to have a go at making some. I've been reading up on what type of steel is required and I have access to a small furnace for heat treatment, so if I can get the correct material I'll make some. If I'm successful I'll make a post about it.
sonunet
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: Quart Meg Miles » Sun Nov 10, 2019 10:51 pm

bigvalvehead wrote:These are the parts that will soon be available in stainless mirror finish. Just fine tuning the shape of the locking lever.

Dave Hughes

Dave, are you resourcing all the window guide parts and will they fit the type 26 (as the locking lever you show isn't original pattern)?
Meg

26/4088 1965 S1½ Old and scruffy but in perfect working order; the car too.
________________Put your money where your mouse is, click on "Support LotusElan.net" below.
Quart Meg Miles
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: PaulH » Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:05 pm

sonunet wrote:Hey Paul -- I've been looking for this springs for quite a while. I saw in your video that you made a few extra.
Wondering if you would consider selling two of them? Also, do you have a pattern for the lock? I'm about 90% done with my S2 project with a few hard to find parts like this left.

I did make a few more, I have 4 that are good enough to use. I'm happy to sell them and if there's more required I could make more. I'm not a business just an amateur and would be happy to sell to others restoring these cars if they are not available anywhere else. Any thoughts on the value? Don't worry I'm not looking to retire on the proceeds :lol: Also happy to supply details if you want to have a go yourself.

The material is Spring Steel and you can see the heat treatment process in this video at 04:37 https://youtu.be/nMj-ysG70hc

Here are pictures. Not perfect but good enough to do the job. The one on the left is my only original which I measured to make the new replacements:
img_9600.jpg and
img_9597.jpg and
img_9598.jpg and
img_9595.jpg and
66 Elan S2
PaulH
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: sonunet » Tue Nov 12, 2019 3:20 am

Thanks, Paul. I think they would do the job. I'll send you a PM to coordinate. Also, any chance you traced out the window lock arm L.H. and R.H (26 B 408, 407)?

PaulH wrote:
sonunet wrote:Hey Paul -- I've been looking for this springs for quite a while. I saw in your video that you made a few extra.

I did make a few more, I have 4 that are good enough to use. I'm happy to sell them and if there's more required I could make more. I'm not a business just an amateur and would be happy to sell to others restoring these cars if they are not available anywhere else. Any thoughts on the value? Don't worry I'm not looking to retire on the proceeds :lol: Also happy to supply details if you want to have a go yourself.

The material is Spring Steel and you can see the heat treatment process in this video at 04:37 https://youtu.be/nMj-ysG70hc

Here are pictures. Not perfect but good enough to do the job. The one on the left is my only original which I measured to make the new replacements:
IMG_9600.JPG
IMG_9597.JPG
IMG_9598.JPG
IMG_9595.JPG
sonunet
First Gear
First Gear

Total Online: