I GIVE UP . PAINT CODES

PostPost by: jasper2347 » Tue Oct 09, 2018 5:32 pm

Just bought an ex Lotus press car 1974 +2 and I can see why the last owner painted it black. Apparently these cars were painted in a met green. I would like to restore it to original. The cars were not supplied with any paint code on the vin, helpful eh? According to the authentication certificate it is Renault mid green met. but no paint code supplied. The PPG and other numbers available on the forum do not make sense to any of the paint suppliers contacted. Have found pictures of Elans and Europa cars in the green and also a Renault 5 and 16. Colour was not used much apart from press cars. Was trying to find a Renault paint code but have got bored trawling the various sites. Plenty of green cars, no paint information. Has anyone got one of these cars on the road or like mine in boxes, who might help with getting some paint or a Renault code. Otherwise it looks like I'll be painting it black again.
Cheers, Rob :( :(
jasper2347
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: types26/36 » Tue Oct 09, 2018 5:58 pm

Looks like others have had the same problem, probably does not help but have a read over this thread unless you have already read it.
lotuselan-plus2-f51/lotus-elan-green-color-1973-t34093.html
Brian
64 S2 Roadster
72 Sprint FHC
types26/36
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Grizzly » Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:27 pm

If it was a Press car do you have a picture of it back in the day? it may help some one recognize the colour.

Also how well was it painted? if you pull back trim do you get the original colour underneath?
Chris
Grizzly
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: jasper2347 » Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:35 pm

The Europa picture in Jasons colour guide looks pretty much like what remains of the green under the old screen rubbers. We may just have to keep going the Renault route and find the code from that car. The other way is just to mix something close, Shame to not get it original though, as car is probably more worth more dosh in that colour. Long way off needing paint yet, just trying to get ahead of the game.
jasper2347
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: jasper2347 » Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:43 pm

This is the Renault green met.
Attachments
r16_3.jpg and
jasper2347
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Grizzly » Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:42 pm

Not saying it's the colour Lotus used but try 1973 Renault 947 Vermont Green met, might be a coincidence but i painted a Renault 12 in it for a customer a year or so ago and it looked very similar to the R16 in the pic.
Chris
Grizzly
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: jasper2347 » Wed Oct 10, 2018 4:35 pm

Thanks Chris, I think all this 'mid green metallic' stuff on the Lotus files is a load of C.......Renault did not have any mid green colours, they all had names. Think it's a case of pick one and go with it. We have a smart mix system and if the machine will accept the Renault 947 I'll give it a whirl and see what it looks like. Have also found a RAL colour which is very close to the old paint which is left under the rubbers. Might give that a go as well. Will post my findings for future unfortunates to need this colour.
Cheers, Rob
jasper2347
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Hawksfield » Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:53 pm

Hi

I had a 1973 +2 in mid green back in 1976 I was led to believe it was a Renault colour, it was not to my liking and nobody who I knew liked it (Lotus L017)
After somebody reversed into it I had it repainted in a BMW metallic green colour, much nicer
I would not recommend LO17 but that is only my opinion

Good luck on your choice of colour :|
John

+2s130 1971
Hawksfield
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: jasper2347 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 4:22 pm

Found the paint code for the car, Renault 953. Only reason for wanting it back to original is it's a Lotus press car and was informed by Bonhams it would be worth more in the original colour as it was only used on the press and show cars. Non of the production cars had this colour on them. The production cars were a lighter green metallic. The press cars also had no silver flake roof. This info came from Lotus today.
I'm considering selling the car 'as is' anyway as time is not available to do it along with the other projects. My 65 year old bones will only cope with so much! Seems a shame to park it when someone can finish the car and enjoy it. We'll see? :D
jasper2347
Second Gear
Second Gear

Total Online: