S4 Rear light section

PostPost by: Concrete-crusher » Fri Mar 01, 2019 7:35 pm

My S4 registered elan has an S3 rear light section so to my S4 rear moulding arrived , my intention is to retrofit the correct light mouldings

Does anybody have a photo of the inside fixing of the lenses carrier?

Also any advice about bonding in the correct section, should I cut away as little as possible or replace a larger section minimising the cut lines

Steve
Concrete-crusher
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: gherlt » Sat Mar 02, 2019 6:29 am

Hello Stve,
you should contact user Dieschelan, he has the opposite situation, he has a S4 section in his S3 :D
Regards
Guillermo
1964 S1 (at paint shop)
1967 S3 DHC
1969 S4 FHC (at BB's home)

https://theelanman.com for details on Brian Bucklands book.
https://shop.lotus-books.com for more Lotus related books.
We ship worldwide. PM/Email me.
gherlt
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: nmauduit » Sat Mar 02, 2019 1:18 pm

If your rear section is from a dealer I suppose it follows the Lotus short section of the time, which would starts behind the rear arches : I would go by that, as it leaves a rather convex curve on visible parts I find easier to align to than compound curves. If applicable, you may also want to check if there was a visible previous repair and take that in account if you think you should/can avoid piling up repairs (I like to make repairs as difficult to see as possible, inside out).

Of course, you may want to check dimensions before cutting of you car , just in case there would be a discrepency resulting in , say, a boot gap larger at the rear than close to the windshield... I'd make sure the chassis is up and stable on level ground, use lots of rulers to check curves and alignements simultaneously etc... for this kind of repair I usually build a wooden craddle to hold everything together before glueing, typically on a pallet...
S4SE 36/8198
nmauduit
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: