Elan S4 Chassis to Body Fit

PostPost by: RichardHawkins » Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:46 pm

I fitted my chassis to body when the chassis was bare. Now I have the suspension fitted to the chassis with the engine and transmission installed the body does not quite fit as it did. The two tubular chassis members at the rear of the chassis are binding on the body, front edge of the boot/trunk.

With the body back off the chassis, I notice that the components (Lotacone?) at the top of the Chapman Strut project forward of the chassis by a few mm, probably 2-3mm. I suspect that this is the cause of the chassis to body fit not being as it was.

Does anyone else have this problem? If so what solution did you come to?

Richard Hawkins
RichardHawkins
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: USA64 » Wed Mar 13, 2019 2:19 pm

I remounted my body S4 fairly recently without that problem albeit the back is sitting too high, positive camber. I can't picture the lotocone projecting forward. Can you post photos?
We are supposed to be having fun, are we not?
USA64
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: alan.barker » Wed Mar 13, 2019 3:17 pm

I hope when you fitted the Body to chassis you had the Engine and gearbox in place so you could check the clearance between the front of the Camcover and the Bonnet :oops: :oops:
Alan
Alan.b Brittany 1972 elan sprint fhc Lagoon Blue 0460E
alan.barker
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: RichardHawkins » Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:42 am

Thanks for the replies. As an old man I find posting photographs difficult, I am away at the moment, but will try when I get home.

Alan,

Yes I have checked bonnet to cam cover clearance, and it is marginal at 3mm, most people seem to have about 8-10mm.

Richard Hawkins
RichardHawkins
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: