More work on my S4...has it had a new front end??

PostPost by: djb222 » Sat Mar 16, 2019 5:27 pm

This week I have been continuing to strip the paint on my Elan, plus removing the Stainless sill trim under the doors and the clips which were attached to the body with 3 different types of fixings!!

It was suggested from what was revealed in the last update that a front repair section was likely to have been bonded in, this week we can reveal whether that is true, damage to the nearside wheel arch, copious amounts of filler over sections of original paint and another repaired crack in the grp.

https://youtu.be/aG1mYjZLVFM
djb222
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: PaulH » Mon Mar 18, 2019 1:02 pm

Blimey, sorry to see you're finding lots of additional work hidden under the paint.

I'm still thinking it may have had a new front end section because of the two straight cut lines either side. I'd have expected both to be at the same position either side but that fact that thy aren't doesn't rule out a new section being attached.

To recreate the wheel arch lip could be tricky, you might want to consider getting a new wheel arch lip piece and replace the damaged one rather than repair it. Others who've had a similar issue might want to comment about that.

Paul
66 Elan S2
PaulH
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: djb222 » Mon Mar 18, 2019 6:01 pm

Thanks Paul,

I'm doubtful a new section was fitted.... the repair on the N/S only tracks about 12'' or so down, so I think that was a crack/split. Also the general state of some of the grp on the wheel arch, behind the front bumper, the filled over original paint etc. However I dare say it's possible.

Using a new lip on the arch has crossed my mind.

I have a feeling that I will find a few more surprises as I move down the sides of the body.

David
djb222
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: nmauduit » Mon Mar 18, 2019 6:56 pm

body sections also come in halves, as per the manual (see http://rdent.com/manuals/elan/body/bp.htm if you don't have the manual handy) in case of a moderate bender affecting one side only... the issue being not wether it was repaired or not imho, but rather how well... and with in mind to the quality you're aiming at (e.g. quick fix vs. like new) - in any case there is some work to get the body ready to accept any sort of treatment to begin with, down to the gelcoat you'll get a better feel for scratches or gouges filled with filler that you wouldn't want to encapsulate, then you would have to get rid of in order to get a sound substrate to work upon.
S4SE 36/8198
nmauduit
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: