New boot seal does not seal

PostPost by: 1owner69Elan » Thu Apr 18, 2019 4:03 am

Received a new boot (trunk) seal from Sue Miller. The profile is quite different from the original as shown below.

img_1646.jpg and

Original on the left.

Net effect is that the boot does not seal very well with the new seal. This can be seen by shining a light from above and looking through the tail light lens holes (tail lights are currently removed).

Is this the current state of what is available for a new boot seal?

(Fortunately my original one is in relatively good shape so I may just retain it.)
'69 Elan S4 SE
Street 181 BHP
Original owner
1owner69Elan
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: alanr » Thu Apr 18, 2019 7:30 am

Welcome to the world of supplied stuff that is just plain wrong, doesn't fit or is of poor quality.
I have unfortunately been sold over the last few months, from all the different suppliers, things that are either not right or not of acceptable quality to me which is both frustrating and disappointing, not to say expensive.:(
Alan
'71 +2 S130/ 5speed Type9.
alanr
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: alan.barker » Thu Apr 18, 2019 7:47 am

Have a look at a seal supplier and on their websites you can see the profile before ordering.
I have also found you can also fit more than one gasket under the boot Hinges to adjust.
Nothing is worst than a bad boot Seal letting in Exhaust fumes
Alan
Alan.b Brittany 1972 elan sprint fhc Lagoon Blue 0460E
alan.barker
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: rcfurse » Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:41 am

The solution to your problem is likely to lie here. https://www.woolies-trim.co.uk/
If they don't have what you want then I suspect it isn't made. I have no conncetion to these guys other than as a satisfied customer.
Richard Furse
Funemployed in N Wales
S3 DHC
S4 DHC
S4 FHC
S4/Sprint
340R
SID
14 "others"
rcfurse
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Elanman99 » Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:50 am

Silent Channel.pdf
Silent Channel Rubber
(83.06 KiB) Downloaded 295 times
Silent Channel.pdf
Silent Channel Rubber
(83.06 KiB) Downloaded 295 times
alanr wrote:Welcome to the world of supplied stuff that is just plain wrong, doesn't fit or is of poor quality.
I have unfortunately been sold over the last few months, from all the different suppliers, things that are either not right or not of acceptable quality to me which is both frustrating and disappointing, not to say expensive.:(

Fully agree with all that.

The PDF attachment is something I did in 2003, well out of date but it shows the variation of window channel mouldings available at that time. I suspect its no much different now!

Ian

Edit, for some reason its has done this twice
68 Elan S4 DHC. Built in a weekend from a kit (just like the advert said)
Elanman99
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: baileyman » Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:06 am

My body man has spent a lot of time adjust edge widths so that the RD supplied seals seal. I suppose with the opposite problem of a narrow edge, one could extend the edge for the new seal. Though it seems better to go seal profile shopping instead.

John
baileyman
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Pastapesto » Thu Apr 18, 2019 3:48 pm

Well chaps.....I have just been out and had a look at an original seal from a bodyshell from a 67' elan SE that was involved in a nasty front end accident in 1970 and sat untouched in a garden since then.....I have to say that the one that Susan Miller supplied (the one on the right in the first picture) is pretty much exactly the same as the one on my Bodyshell.

Here is a picture......not sure if that is helpful but it is original from factory....it is a little squashed but it is the same profile as one Susan Miller supplied to me recently.....
Attachments
image.jpeg and
Pastapesto
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: USA64 » Thu Apr 18, 2019 4:38 pm

If you haven't already, you might try fitting the lid without the hinges.
We are supposed to be having fun, are we not?
USA64
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: 1owner69Elan » Thu Apr 18, 2019 5:43 pm

Perhaps the factory used different boot seals for different years. For example, I believe S1/S2 seals we?re different than later ones.

The boot seal on my 69 S4 is absolutely original (car has been in my possession since I collected it at Hethel in July 1969). It does differ significantly from the newly supplied one.

I should note that the original one always sealed well with no leaks. As the old one remains in decent shape I?m going to use it. The paint shop is using it, instead of the new one, in finalizing the boot fit.

I was only renewing the seal as a matter of course as I go through all the bits on the car.
'69 Elan S4 SE
Street 181 BHP
Original owner
1owner69Elan
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: nmauduit » Thu Apr 18, 2019 6:01 pm

my '68 Fed S4se is quite original, and I could not find a fitting trunk/boot seal either - eventually I put back to old one, sort of flattened at the top corners and possibly shrunk a bit in length, awaiting for a better solution... please post your finding if applicable !
S4SE 36/8198
nmauduit
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: LaikaTheDog » Fri Apr 19, 2019 6:12 am

Woolies will match a sample if you send it to them, or send you 1 inch lengths of ones you want to test
LaikaTheDog
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Certified Lotus » Fri Apr 19, 2019 9:52 am

I have been hunting for window seals for my original S1 hardtop that I?m in the midst of restoring. Hours of hunting on-line and talking to several suppliers of various seals got me to the conclusion that the seals designed and manufactured in the 60?s are no longer made and most have been redesigned ?improvements?.

I found this company had the best selection of modern automotive seals to choose from. https://www.sealsdirect.co.uk/index.asp
Glen
05 Elise - Back where I started
65 Elan S2 - 26/4055
72 Europa - 74/2358R
69 Elan S4 - 45/7941
64 Elan S1 - 26/0379
12 Colin 30 - Lotus Racing Kart
07 Exige S - Wicked Road/Track Car
07 Exige S - Fast Road/Track Car
06 Elise - Track pack
Certified Lotus
Coveted Fifth Gear