Felt, its use?

PostPost by: h20hamelan » Tue Apr 30, 2019 6:42 pm

I am presuming the felt material below the carpet, above the body. Is there for sound deadening. Or is it there for water absorption, or as your funny Brittish comedy troop Monty Python might put it. ?Super water absorbent?.
My foot carpet piece comes up and is fairly easily dry able. But I believe the rear of my +2 is less easily dryable.
Throughout my elise I have used the dynamat type product, for sound deadening. Along with some undercoating spray to keep vibration hum down.

The simple question. The value of felt, might be more useful if I consider I will use it for extra cushioning. Because it seems to simply mould if not dried properly. Or maybe I wash my car too often and dont dry it properly. Or water creaps in from somewhere...

I also dont know if the originality of felt is so important. Nor if the synthetics have any benefits in an elan.

Cheers
Born, and brought home from the hospital (no seat belt (wtf)) in a baby!
Find out where the limits are, and start from there
Love your Mother
Earth
h20hamelan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: JonB » Wed May 01, 2019 7:02 am

It's there for sound insulation. Maybe heat as well (to keep engine heat out of the cabin).

If you have a leak, it is better to hunt it down than put up with wet carpets and condensation.

My view FWIW is that "originality" is less important that "utility" for a hidden thing like this, but then, I'm not a purist. I found most sound proofing mats to be ruinously expensive so I still have the old ratty felt in my car. Interestingly, the felt on the side panels and round the fuel tank area is like new, unlike the underfloor and boot felt, which is all completely gone.
JonB
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: LaikaTheDog » Wed May 01, 2019 11:19 am

I bought a roll of felt from woolies.
https://www.woolies-trim.co.uk/product/ ... ening-felt

I even used it on the inside of my roof between the headlining rods and it made a massive difference.

An alternative is to go the the local dump and strip the soft padding from the top of a dumped divan (before it gets wet!) It is usually a thick layer of woven recycled/shredded cloth, I used that to insulate a TVR on a budget.

I used felt to sound deaden a new Kia and an old Jimny, it works well

I found that water in the footwell came from poor bulkhead grommets , but mostly from the top of the door to body. You need some rubber seals there that usually vanish during paint jobs...

Once I realised this I put some seals in and had dry footwells...

My boot however is using bituminous roofers seal (fake stickon lead flashing) it deadens sound perfectly and allows the leak from my bumper bolts to drain away...it has a sticky side and a fake lead side so it looks ok..
https://www.wickes.co.uk/Wickes-Self-Ad ... m/p/243007
LaikaTheDog
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: el-saturn » Wed May 01, 2019 11:32 am

i'd say: follow colin's philosophy: no unnecessary weight, even when you prepare a touring car (e.f. BTTC) the first stuff you get rid of is carpets, felt, radios, AC, one seat, door cards, etc etc.. basically no interior and macrolon windows.. PLUSor btw: some of us buy TCs because they love and want the FREE NOISE!! sandy - THE unpurist!
el-saturn
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: gherlt » Thu May 02, 2019 7:38 am

Brian Buckland says:
Instead of felt you may consider using ? inch neoprene sheet which will not absorb water and thus is better corrosion wise for the chassis.
1964 S1 (at paint shop)
1967 S3 DHC
1969 S4 FHC (at BB's home)

https://theelanman.com for details on Brian Bucklands book.
https://shop.lotus-books.com for more Lotus related books.
We ship worldwide. PM/Email me.
gherlt
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: nigelrbfurness » Thu May 02, 2019 8:43 am

Ah, but is not Mr. Buckland referring here to the felt saddle twixt body and chassis, rather than carpet underfelt? +1 for dynamat and keep your classic car in a garage where it's nice and dry
:P
1970 S4SE/1760cc big valve/SA-AX block, L2s, 45DCOEs, 1978 Jensen GT, 1962 AH Sprite, Alfa-Romeo 159, 1966 Bristol Bus, 1947 AEC Regal bus.
nigelrbfurness
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: h20hamelan » Thu May 02, 2019 5:21 pm

Yes, a dry roof and foot we have
I had used the Chinese dynamat. About 1/3 the cost

Nope, no radio. I am considering running bonnetless as the sounds a twink makes is riveting. And most likely side pipes behind the front wheels. Also to save the old weight

Here in BC Canada. We can apply for altered vehicle stats. Which would allow us to run Polycarbonate wind screen. Will keep you posed on when I make a move on this project.
Born, and brought home from the hospital (no seat belt (wtf)) in a baby!
Find out where the limits are, and start from there
Love your Mother
Earth
h20hamelan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: