Tonneau Fitting

PostPost by: William2 » Mon May 27, 2019 5:40 pm

I am thinking of fitting a tonneau cover to my S4 Elan. My car has the 4 male tenax fasteners already fitted to the top of the crashpad but it doesn't have these fasteners in the outer bodywork near the bottom of the windscreen frame. Are these necessary and if so am I correct in saying that the tonneau cover can only be fitted with both the door window glasses in the fully open position? Are these 2 tenax fasteners easy to fit if required?
William2
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: ericbushby » Mon May 27, 2019 5:57 pm

Yes, the tonneau has to go over the lowered windows to drain rainwater outside the car.
Also, park facing uphill or, if facing downhill water runs off forwards into the speaker on a series 3.
I only have an exterior Tenax stud on one side as the mirror is in the way on the drivers side.
Otherwise the tonneau is excellent and I very rarely drive mine without it on. It must be two years since I put the roof on. I cannot help with fitting the studs.
Eric in Burnley
1967 S3SE DHC
ericbushby
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: seniorchristo » Tue May 28, 2019 1:30 am

I bought an everflex tonneau from Paul Matty for my similar S3. I'm very happy with it .Make sure you order with the extra zippers and specify which seats you have. There is a lip on the front which deters water from going into the dash area. Take your time installing the snaps. I started at the back and worked from the center outwards. :)
67 Elan Super Safety
67 Elan +2
seniorchristo
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Grizzly » Tue May 28, 2019 12:01 pm

Here is a few pictures of mine fitted. There is a flap that goes through the rolled down window and clips on front and back.
p1040318.jpg and

You will have to excuse not all the back Tenax are locked in place.
p1040314.jpg and

p1040313.jpg and

Sorry the pictures are a bit dark but you get the idea....... as above the Tonneau is more about keeping the sun off the interior when parked or use in very light showers. I very rarely use mine (mine is either Hood up or down) i don't like the idea of it dropping water down the back of the dash (as you can see from the picture's if i do use it i make a point of parking it nose up)
Chris
Grizzly
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: richardcox_lotus » Tue May 28, 2019 6:53 pm

I have one for my Sprint but rarely use it. I have the outer tenax fittings but for me it?s too windy a drive with both windows fully open.

Perhaps I?m just getting old !

Regards,
Richard
Richard
'72 Sprint
richardcox_lotus
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: