Lotus Elan

Gear knob restoration

PostPost by: denicholls2 » Thu Jun 06, 2019 12:41 pm

Once you've got the badge out, just paint the face completely with flat black of your choosing using a model brush. Or if you want to practice your skills, get a 0000 brush and a magnifying light and paint around them. You will be able to get the raised lettering back when it dries with a toothpick or your fingernail. Use 2 coats before engaging in that.

My problem is getting the badge to stay in the knob. Last I knew it was floating about the interior, may be lost now...

When you're happy, paint the whole thing including the badge with polyurethane. I wouldn't bother with 2-part (which is pretty toxic), but whatever. Then 0000 steel wool, recoat, steel wool ... until you are almost satisfied (because some of us will never quite be. :))
denicholls2
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: JonB » Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:58 pm

vincereynard wrote:
JonB wrote:
vincereynard wrote:Just to confuse things - the background on my gearknob is yellow.

Yours has a Lotus logo on it, not a gate pattern, no? And it is an aftermarket aluminium part, IIRC..

That would just be being facetious, I would never do that!

Of course not, Vince! :D

So here we are after some staining:

img_5542.jpg and

Definitely getting there.
Late 1972 Elan Plus 2S 130/5 - UK - Unit 50/1115L
JonB
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elanfan1 » Fri Jun 07, 2019 10:18 am

Story Jon but imho that’s way too dark. What are you going to do about the little holes just flood them with varnish?
Steve

Silence is Guildern; Duct Tape is Silver
elanfan1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: JonB » Fri Jun 07, 2019 12:18 pm

Hi Steve

Noted. But it's light years ahead of when it started in terms of condition and the colour will be a good match for the new dashboard. That's what I am hoping to achieve here - if the knob was light it would stick out against the dark dashboard. It is pretty clear to me that this is a very dark hardwood. When wet, it looks like mahogany. Were all the Lotus knobs made of the same material? I tend to doubt it.

As to the holes, they are not very visible to the naked eye. Close ups are very unforgiving. I will lay down a few coats of clear and see where we are. Probably have to sand and spray a few times to get the lovely glassy finish I am seeking.

Cheers
JonB
JonB
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: JonB » Tue Jun 11, 2019 2:50 pm

And here we are.

img_5549.jpg and

A Steve says, too dark, but compare with the new dash and it looks good. Come too think of it, it looks like Vince's.

new-dashboard.jpg and

In the end I decided not to go with a super high gloss because a) it's easier to do it like this and b) it feels better (actually looks like patina).
JonB
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Previous

Total Online: