S3 Door hinge lower bobbin fix (successful bodge!)

PostPost by: englishmaninwales » Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:34 pm

Maybe this has been done / posted before, so apologies if it is a repeat.

2 years ago I had the driver?s door off and dismantled to fix the widow cables (thank you Alex Black for the counter sunk bolt / grub screw arrangement for cable to window fixing!).

Anyhow, I found the lower door hinge pin female bobbin in the sill nicely worn oval shaped. Looking through the archives on here I could see how a proper glass fibre / new bobbin repair should be done. Maybe one day, when the refurbishment gets done, I?ll fix it properly. But my car is every day transport in the summer, so it was not practical to do that.

I carefully cleaned any grease out and lightly abraided the ?oval? cup in the bobbin. I then used Blue Magic Quick Steel epoxy to fill the worn sector of the oval cup, and used a new nylon hinge pin to mold a perfect spherical cup, making sure to remove any excess, especially in the unworn part of the cup.

This was left to set with the hinge pin in situ and then re-fitted the door to the car. I thought it probably wouldn?t last long.

2 years and 5k miles of driver?s door opening and am pleased to report there is no evidence of wear.

Whilst not a long term fix, I thought I?d share this as a successful bodge, hopefully it?ll be some use to others.

Malcolm
1966 Elan S3 Coupe
1994 Caterham 7
englishmaninwales
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: gjz30075 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:49 am

Good to know! Thanks!
Greg Z
45/0243K Sprint
45/7286 S3 SE DHC
gjz30075
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: englishmaninwales » Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:32 am

Greg, close to mine, 36/5712. The pre airflow is the best looking car!
1966 Elan S3 Coupe
1994 Caterham 7
englishmaninwales
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Total Online: