Restoration advice!

PostPost by: clint Elliott » Wed Jul 24, 2019 11:25 am

Hi Guys, I?m just about to start work on my new +2 project and could do with some advice, the rear screen has been leaking and soaked the boot area, all of the sound proofing will need to be removed and replaced, it there a better more modern way of soundproofing fibreglass than the original product, many thanks
clint Elliott
New-tral

PostPost by: Elanman68 » Thu Jul 25, 2019 8:52 am

Current discussion about sound deadening/sound proofing in this thread. Principles are the same. Did much of my car earlier this year and will likely do more next time I have it sufficiently apart to access the areas not yet done.

http://www.lotuselan.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=44885
Elanman68
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: JonB » Thu Jul 25, 2019 9:40 am

Against the "light is right" credo that I believe in, I lined the boot floor with roofing flashing tape. It's cheap and readily available from DIY sheds. The stuff is a 2 mm layer of bitumen attached to a foil tape about 5 inches wide. I did it because I have a leak at the bumper bolt holes (classic location it seems) and wanted something waterproof rather than the horse hair mat. It's worked really well - remember, the exhaust box is under there and I think the boot floor tends to resonate quite a bit, so this material dampens it down a fair bit. Something to consider at least, and it is reversible (though might leave a bit of a mess that you'd have to use a solvent to clean up).
JonB
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: grassyknoll » Thu Jul 25, 2019 2:31 pm

Yep, I did the same, bitumen backed tape is perfect and low cost compared to the commercial sound tape... but looks the same :?

Bumper bolts were the cause of my soggy boot too
grassyknoll
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: Gordon Sauer » Thu Jul 25, 2019 5:33 pm

As an after-the-fact sealer, I have used something from the boating industry which is a very liquid silicone-it?s called Captain Tolleys Creeping Crack Cure. It?s got a nozzle and consequently can go under the bumper with a little bit of an incline to get into the hole and seal those bumper bolts which I did, having not done it well enough in the first place. Gordon
Gordon Sauer
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: grassyknoll » Thu Jul 25, 2019 6:11 pm

Used creeping crack cure on a tvr windscreen rubber , it actually works !
grassyknoll
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: powellsmail » Fri Jul 26, 2019 7:52 am

+ 1. I used it to repair a crack in a shower tray. Did a great job until I got round to replacing it.
powellsmail
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: clint Elliott » Fri Jul 26, 2019 6:39 pm

Hi guys many thanks for your help, sorry been having trouble replying
clint Elliott
New-tral

PostPost by: Bigbaldybloke » Sun Aug 04, 2019 1:35 am

Haven?t done the sound deadening in the boot yet, but I?ve settled on Dodomat which you can get in either A4 sized sheets or 1m wide rolls, I?ve used. Combination of both, but the car isn?t back on the road yet to prove how effective (or not!) it is. I?ve used the roll for big areas like under the bonnet lid, and the sheets for more fiddly areas.
Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine!
Bigbaldybloke
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Total Online: