Can you spot the original ?

PostPost by: 1owner69Elan » Fri Aug 02, 2019 10:19 pm

Here are two World Champion Car Constructor badges for a 69 S4.

Can you tell which is original and which is the repro?

img_2643.jpg and

There are obvious differences between the two. In particular the wreaths and the placement of the years within the wreaths. Fonts also slightly different on numbers and letters. Outer corners sharp on one and slightly rounded on the other.

I wonder if a Concours judge would pick up on this in judging originality.

Continues to confirm to me that if you can keep original parts, you are better off in terms of fit, finish, and originality. This badge is perhaps a minor case, but I have found this to be true throughout my original car. Refurbish and repair, as opposed to replace, if you can.
'69 Elan S4 SE
Street 181 BHP
Original owner
1owner69Elan
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: nmauduit » Fri Aug 02, 2019 10:37 pm

at a quick glance fonts and shapes look more legit on the bottom one (plus the rounded angles, and possibly light horizontal streaking of the anodized surface), but as seen on the screen from the photo the green should be closer to the top than to the bottom version to me...

snapshot of an original one with protection film still on that I had at hand:
p1050440.jpg and
original one with protection film still on

also letters alignment is often wrong on repros, here the A of car with respect to the W of world for instance (same with repro VIN plates, there are numbers of small variations)
S4SE 36/8198
nmauduit
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: gjz30075 » Sat Aug 03, 2019 9:41 am

Absolutely agree about refurbishing vs replacing. However I don't think any Concours judge would notice
this because our cars are normally entered in "d'elegance" type of events, ie, subjective views, ie, judging on
workmanship, cleaniness, fit and finish, 'elegance' and mostly original looking.

The detail you're referring to, is found in objective type of Concours events, such as NCRS, SAAC Division 1,
MCA (Mustang Club of America) Concours trailered or Driven, or wherever there is a 'one marque' show. The judges at these events are really nit picking and need to be because all of the cars are the same marque. We (Lotus events), as far as I know, no longer have this type of judging, as happened with LOGs of the past.
Greg Z
45/0243K Sprint
45/7286 S3 SE DHC
gjz30075
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: