Making a grill between interior rear quarter panel and body

PostPost by: DJW » Sat Aug 24, 2019 3:22 pm

I understand the gap between the rear quarter panel and body, by the rear screen, is there for ventilation, however on my car you can see a tad too much behind the panelling when peering in from rear window. I want to find a way to restrict the view without impacting airflow.

I?m thinking a strip of black mesh would be unobtrusive or maybe a decent open pore black foam (like used in filters) could fill the gap ?

Lastly a numpty question but how do I remove the rear quarter panel :oops: ?
1969 Elan S4 DHC
DJW
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: MarkDa » Sat Aug 24, 2019 6:20 pm

Didn't take you long to start tinkering :D :D
MarkDa
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: mbell » Sat Aug 24, 2019 7:29 pm

I recently saw a photo on here of some one with a modern heated rear screen with back border around it that did a good job of hiding the gap. You could probably do something similar by adding a stop to your rear screen. Not sure it's a good solution but might be worth considering.

Quarter panels are bolted in with a bolt in the higher part that bolts through to the external air vent. Remove the external air vent and you'll see it. I believe originally the inside was a coat hook with a lotus badge on it. Appart from that I think they are just wedged in buy seats and parcel shelf or where on my car.
'73 +2 130/5 RHD, now on the road and very slowly rolling though a "restoration"
mbell
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: DJW » Sat Aug 24, 2019 7:43 pm

MarkDa wrote:Didn't take you long to start tinkering :D :D

Jono did such a great job on the car I?m just doing the trinket stuff ;). Already have door cards off and rubbers to door windows part way through replacement.

Thanks MBell. Yes I did something similar albeit on inside of windscreen, headlamp covers and door windows for Ultima I had. I could put something on exterior I suppose although always wary of edges peeling. Thanks for info on removing trim. Will have them out tomorrow ;)

Missus is raising eyebrows at the mo, as started to redecorating spare bedroom, building a low garden wall and had a shower cabin delivered yesterday...,,all on hold since the Lorus arrived :mrgreen:
1969 Elan S4 DHC
DJW
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Bud English » Sun Aug 25, 2019 2:55 pm

[/quote]Missus is raising eyebrows at the mo, as started to redecorating spare bedroom, building a low garden wall and had a shower cabin delivered yesterday...,,all on hold since the Lorus arrived :mrgreen:[/quote]

:lol: Yeah, quite a few of us are in that club as well.
Bud
1970 +2S Fed 0053N
"Winnemucca - says it all really!!"
Bud English
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: snowyelan » Mon Sep 02, 2019 11:18 pm

Gotta ask, what's a shower cabin? We have outhouses here, and outdoor showers for the brave/bold/proud?!?!
Scott
45/9011
Hawkestone, On, Ca
snowyelan
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: DJW » Tue Sep 03, 2019 12:33 am

:lol:
I do have an outdoors toilet, luckily no longer needed, as a house originally built in circa 1870.
Anyway I digress. Cabin refers to fact all the bits are included to complete the build of shower enclosure and can be moved to a certain degree for maintenance etc

https://poshh.co.uk/bathroom/shower-enc ... cabin.html

Reminds me I?ve got to crack on with it now :roll:
1969 Elan S4 DHC
DJW
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: The Veg » Sat Sep 07, 2019 1:58 am

I can relate too. Mrs. Veg wanted a porch-swing for her birthday, which wound up requiring a lot of work to install and led to another project making the porch ceiling a different colour.
1970 Elan Plus 2 (not S) 50/2036
2012 BMW R1200GS
"It just wouldn't be a complete day if I didn't forget something!" -Me
The Veg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: