Plus 2 Paint Schemes

PostPost by: mgb2010 » Fri Feb 27, 2004 12:49 pm

Was the +2 painted in any colour schemes other than the basic single colour or single colour with metal flake roof? Has anyone any pictures or references to the colour schemes of (period) track prepared cars?

MGB
mgb2010
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: roadterror » Fri Mar 19, 2004 6:20 pm

Thinking of respraying the Plus Two black with gold trims, ala JPS. Were there any Plus Twos produced by the factory with this paint scheme? Seen Europas only....

What's the best way to get the gold lines done?

Thanks!
roadterror
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: berni29 » Sat Mar 20, 2004 3:58 pm

There are pictures of a plus 2 at www.lotuselan.info with a red roof, but painted just beween the roof rails. I was going to do mine yellow with a black roof in the same style, and black wheels. However, I have just seen a really lovely plus 2 in ivory white which looks really good, and is a bit more grown up and less boy racer than the yellow and black.

I am going to do mine in a similar but slightly more cream colour.
Zetec+ 2 under const, also 130S. And another 130S for complete restoration. Previously Racing green +2s with green tints. Yellow +2 and a couple of others, all missed. Great to be back 04/11/2021 although its all starting to get a bit out of control.
berni29
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: LaikaTheDog » Sat Mar 20, 2004 10:24 pm

trying desperately to dig out some reference to it for you, but there definitely were +2 JPS models, an old school friends father had one about 15 years ago, he has since sold it but it was my first taste of teh +2 and I now have one...will kepp digging and send you some piccies
LaikaTheDog
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: LaikaTheDog » Sat Mar 20, 2004 10:31 pm

piccie here:

<a href='http://perso.club-internet.fr/dherrero/don01elan_fichiers/JPSPlus2.jpg' target='_blank'>Lotus Elan Plus 2 Commemorative JPS</a>
LaikaTheDog
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: elanman3 » Fri Apr 02, 2004 12:29 pm

My first +2 was all black with a thin gold stripe down the side, but it was definately not original. I've got a photo if you every want to see what that looks like.

Saturday morning at Donnington there was a black +2 with gold roof and thin gold stripe down the side. That car had a WOW factor to it. It looked so good I took a photo in case I choose that colour scheme (currently thinking black & silver). If you want a copy of the photo let me know.

Colin
elanman3
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: roadterror » Mon Apr 05, 2004 5:53 pm

The picture really does look good.... don't quite know about the gold roof, though.

Black with gold pin stripes... yeah! Anyone has a JPS decal kit for the Plus Two?
roadterror
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: 1964 S1 » Fri Apr 23, 2004 4:54 am

I don't think there are JPS decal kits for a +2, can someone prove me wrong? I worked for a Lotus dealer in the USA back then and the Europa was it for JPS cars. Maybe it was different in England. The photo looks all wrong to me for a "factory special."
1964 S1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: nebogipfel » Fri Apr 23, 2004 5:07 pm

There certainly was a JPS +2 on the UK market. Black car with gold metalflake roof and the subtle pinstripes in gold again along the top of the waist line.

The one in the picture mentioned above looks right.
John

No longer active on here, I value my privacy.
nebogipfel
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: type36lotus » Sat Apr 24, 2004 1:24 am

And looks really sharp! I like the color scheme :-)
Mike Geiger
66 S3 Coupe', no more :-(
type36lotus
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: 1964 S1 » Sat May 01, 2004 12:24 am

I agree, it's drop dead gorgeous, but I'm prejudiced, I love Lotus... and, but, shouldn't there be a JPS wreath logo showing somewhere? (and can I tell you what the reflection of the parking lot stripe tells me about this car?) Does anyone know of any JPS +2 picture in any Lotus book?
1964 S1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Ramsden » Mon May 03, 2004 6:01 pm

I run a 73 130/5 in JPS livery that came with a letter on lotus headed paper confirming that it is number 25 a run of cars produced in this colour to celebrate Lotus' 50th GP win. The story goes that only 50 were to be produced however the popularity of the colour scheme proved too much of the perenially cash strapped lotus and estimates of the actual number vary from 85 - 120 or so.

My car has been re-sprayed, using the correct colours but it would appear that a fresh wreath decal set was not available when this occurred as this is now missing. I believe however that, originally, the wreath was around the nose badge. There is also a metal badge on the front wing, in front of the door, which notes the celebration of the 50th GP win for Lotus.

Simon
Ramsden
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: trw99 » Mon May 10, 2004 9:07 am

See also the Duncan Wherrett Elan book. There are four pictures of a JPS +2, apparently in original livery of black with metal flake gold roof and gold coach line.

The text indicates that 85 examples were made and a commemorative plaque is placed low on the right wing, "Limited edition to commemorate first 50 Lotus grand prix wins".

There is no wreath on the nose, though a JPS decal is apparent on the drivers door, above the handle. Interestingly, the sills were also finished in gold, below the chrome strip.
trw99
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: carrierdave » Thu Oct 07, 2004 11:00 am

Hi there - I purchased a 1970 +2 about 6 months ago. It has been re-sprayed ?only one year after being registered? in JPS colours. Originally it was Sherwood Green/golden sands.
The body has been painted black with a gold strip down the side and gold below the chrome sill strip apart from that there are no other jps dacals.
carrierdave
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: garyk » Fri Oct 08, 2004 3:26 pm

Recently there was a claimed original JPS +2 on eBay that went unsold. Look at item 2489638441 while it's still there.

Gary.
'72 +2 S130/5
garyk
New-tral

Total Online: