Front bumper

PostPost by: lotusbzz » Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:57 pm

Hallo!!!
The edge of the bumper of my S4 is a bit strange?
The gap is not regular due to the centre curl that never I?ve seen in the pics of the forum.net

d7a1c46b-7968-4eb7-8cc1-f14c063d03e7.jpeg and

What?s about your bumper?
Ciao
Paolo
lotusbzz
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: USA64 » Wed Sep 04, 2019 10:55 pm

That's what the plastic chrome trim strip (missing on your car) is supposed to fix.
We are supposed to be having fun, are we not?
USA64
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: 1owner69Elan » Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:33 pm

There is a central bobbin on many S4 and later front bumpers (I didn't have one on my Federal S4 - for some reason) that helps fix the bumper. It appears maybe a bobbin has been glassed into your bumper and thus the evident variation in gap. Replacement bumpers don't seem to come with this later central bobbin and thus must be added if wanted.

It should be noted that many Elans during a repair/respray have had their front bumper gap "corrected" obviating the need for the chrome filler strip. My opinion is that the factory chose to use the filler strip rather than go to the serious effort of fitting the front bumper to the body with a continuous and small gap.

Even without the chrome strip the bumper edge is typically continuous and smooth not as evidenced on your bumper. You may be able to use the chrome strip to alleviate the issue but probably going to take to some fettling (fiddling?) to get around the protrusion you have as the gap looks rather tight in that area.
'69 Elan S4 SE
Street 181 BHP
Original owner
1owner69Elan
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: lotusbzz » Thu Sep 05, 2019 5:36 am

I?m going to fit the chrome strip that will clamped with a the bobbin@nut in the centre but maybe it will be bit uneven due to that protrusion
I?ll post the final result soon
Paolo
lotusbzz
Second Gear
Second Gear

Total Online: