Plus 2 failsafe headlamp linkage

PostPost by: JonB » Wed Sep 18, 2019 10:00 am

Hi

Doing some jobs in the nose cone, one of which is to sort out some play in the headlamp bowl actuating mechanism. I've undone one of the bolts and found the actuating bar hole is oval:

headlight-actuator-bar-end.jpg
headlight-actuator-bar-end.jpg (16.25 KiB) Viewed 652 times

It's a lot bigger than the hole in the headlight bowl (some PO fitted 10mm bolts which look more or less correct for the bowl, but really loose on the actuating bar hole, which causes the play). Moreover, there does not appear to be any bush or top hat type affair to take up this slack in the parts diagram:

headlight-actuator-bar-bolt.jpg
headlight-actuator-bar-bolt.jpg (30.65 KiB) Viewed 652 times

Items 53, 54, 55 are just listed as "screw" / "nut" / "washer". Nothing special. You can see that the actuating lever end hole is bigger than the corresponding hole in the bowl, so how is this supposed to be assembled without being loose?
JonB
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: JonB » Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:00 pm

Replying to myself again...

Looking at the way it works, the arm end does not articulate. It looks to be fixed rigidly to the headlamp bowl. I guess the oversize hole is there to allow for some adjustment. I?ve fitted a piece of rubber fuel pipe to the inside of it (good tight fit) then washers then the nut and bolt tightened properly. Sorted!
JonB
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: