Late Plus 2 pedal box strengthener

PostPost by: JonB » Wed Sep 25, 2019 8:15 am

Hi

http://www.lotuselan.net/wiki/JG_-_Brakes_-_Pedals_%2B2

On this diagram are three different pedal boxes with various brackets. On my car, a late 1972 model, I do not have any of the brackets. Some PO has just fitted drilled strip and I would like to fit the correct parts as the pedal box strength is crucial to safety. You really don't want it coming loose during a braking manoeuvre!

So, can anyone tell me which pedal box assembly / bracket set is correct for my car? Unit no. 1115. It looks like the correct one is at top left with the brake light switch.

Some of the brackets seem to have attachment points for other parts on them. For example, parts 18 and 20 both have flanges and holes to which something attaches. Any idea what that something is? I'm guessing the under dash trim.

I have a mind to fit the rectangular one, and weld a plate to it to extend out to strengthen the steering column upper mount and possibly the handbrake upper mount too. But would it have the same bolt pattern?
JonB
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: jono » Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:15 am

I spent some time laying up additional layers of glass around the pedal box aperture and in particular the column mount area then feathered it out some distance beyond the hole. I then made up a much more rigid plate in hot rolled angle - it all made a huge difference and there was never any sense of the pedal box moving under braking or the column wobbling about
Attachments
p1060350-copy.jpg and
p1060347-copy.jpg and
jono
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: mbell » Wed Sep 25, 2019 1:24 pm

I believe C050J0604 I'd the right part, top left of diagram. Wouldn't have had any reenforcing brackets from the factory.

I added some angle Ali to mine. Primarily to spread the upward load on the mountings.

There is a diagram in here somewhere of a bracket to link the peddle box to the steering column or if sheet steel. Personally I've liked the idea but been out off by the weight...
'73 +2 130/5 RHD, now on the road and very slowly rolling though a "restoration"
mbell
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: JonB » Wed Sep 25, 2019 2:11 pm

OK, I'll see what the access is like for lay up. As I am not in full on "body off resto" mode (yet!).

Cheers
JonB
JonB
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: vincereynard » Wed Sep 25, 2019 7:03 pm

Toad is 1101, so close to yours.

I'll have a look if you want and see. I don't recall it flexing to any great extent.
vincereynard
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Foxie » Wed Sep 25, 2019 7:59 pm

mbell wrote:There is a diagram in here somewhere of a bracket to link the peddle box to the steering column or if sheet steel. Personally I've liked the idea but been out off by the weight...

I'd say this the one..... :)
Attachments
bracingdrg.jpg and
68 Elan +2, 70 Elan +2s
Foxie
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: mbell » Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:02 pm

Foxie wrote:I'd say this the one..... :)

Yes, that's the one. Thanks.
'73 +2 130/5 RHD, now on the road and very slowly rolling though a "restoration"
mbell
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: