Bobbins

PostPost by: TomMull » Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:11 pm

bobbin-1.jpg and
I was about to reinstall the brace behind the rear seat and find that the bobbin seems to be out of alignment. I removed the brace some time ago but haven t touched anything in the bobbin area. I tried to move it with a punch but no luck. Being unfamiliar with the bobbin concept, I've no idea what's wrong.
Tom
TomMull
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Matt Elan » Sat Sep 28, 2019 2:28 pm

The bobbin is simply a round or oval bit of alloy with a grooved outer edge and a hole (threaded in this case) in the middle. They are glassed into the body - IIRC the workshop manual shows how to fit them. Does yours move if you wiggle the hole with punch? If so it looks to have become loose in the glass fibre. If not its just glassed in at a bit of an angle - there should be a bit of wiggle room when bolting in the brace.
Matthew Vale - Classic Motoring Author
1968 Plus 2 - Somewhat cosmetically and mechanically modified
1969 Plus 2S - Currently undergoing nut and bolt restoration
Visit me on matthewvale.com
Matt Elan
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: vxah » Sat Sep 28, 2019 3:12 pm

That looks to be a +2 rear brace/body mount bobbin? If so it doesn?t have threads but the hole in the chassis behind it does. Looks like you need to jiggle the body a little to re- align the the holes. You could use something round like a punch to put through the holes and lever them about but, be careful not to damage the threads!
vxah
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: TomMull » Sat Sep 28, 2019 4:01 pm

vxah wrote:That looks to be a +2 rear brace/body mount bobbin? If so it doesn?t have threads but the hole in the chassis behind it does. Looks like you need to jiggle the body a little to re- align the the holes. You could use something round like a punch to put through the holes and lever them about but, be careful not to damage the threads!

Yup, it is a Plus 2 and I came to the same conclusion after I posted. It seems to be quite happy in its new configuration though and the tapered punch hasn't yet worked. I'll continue to coax the body a bit. I wasn't smart enough to put the bolt back in when I removed the brace (the other side when in without trouble). Thanks for the reply.
Tom
TomMull
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: vxah » Sat Sep 28, 2019 5:10 pm

I was thinking maybe if you lift the back end of the boot it might pivot on the rearmost of the chassis and lower the brace bobbin?
vxah
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: TomMull » Sat Sep 28, 2019 11:35 pm

Good thought as I had the brace on the forward end of the boot opening as well.
Tom
TomMull
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: The Veg » Sun Sep 29, 2019 2:41 am

If the brace is off for a while things can settle a bit. I found that a little careful upward pressure on the jacking-points brought the holes back into alignment.
1970 Elan Plus 2 (not S) 50/2036
2012 BMW R1200GS
"It just wouldn't be a complete day if I didn't forget something!" -Me
The Veg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: alan.barker » Sun Sep 29, 2019 7:43 am

I would drill the clearance a bit bigger in the Bobbin. Then when you refit the Brace the Body there will be no stress.
BUT thinking about it how is your Car supported at the moment, evenly i hope and not jacked up on one side only :wink: :wink: :wink:
Alan
Alan.b Brittany 1972 elan sprint fhc Lagoon Blue 0460E
alan.barker
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: TomMull » Sun Sep 29, 2019 12:40 pm

I built a couple of metal beams that are shimmed at the rusty jacking points and at the chassis when the car was on its wheels, and the car, with those beams, is on a lift. Still got some movement apparently.

I'll be fitting a new chassis in the near future so would rather not enlarge the holes in the body.

Thanks for the replies.

Tom
TomMull
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: TomMull » Mon Sep 30, 2019 10:39 am

Thanks to all I managed to fit the beam. The vertical alignment was relatively easy as I could move it by jacking the body under it. The horizontal was not so easy requiring significant force on a tapered punch as I could find no way to jack the body side to side. I dressed the threads with a tap afterward. Seems ok.
All this does make fitting the new chassis (this winter's project) a bit more daunting than I'd hoped.
Tom
TomMull
Second Gear
Second Gear

Total Online: