Re-chroming company needed in SE.

PostPost by: NYK » Tue Oct 01, 2019 9:45 am

I am looking for a quality re-chroming company in Kent/East Sussex/Surrey/South London area. There are three companies I have identified:
1. Ashford chroming - very much bottom on my list as they sub out work to whoever.
2. Chrome Restoration in Folkestone - I have used this company for zinc plating small items and was not that impressed with the plating, although they have some nice motor bikes on display where the chrome looks good
3. Colonnade in Wembley - I have read good reports about this company.

So does anyone have any recommendations for platers in my neck of the woods?

Nic
NYK
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: 661 » Tue Oct 01, 2019 10:08 am

I've used London and Brighton Platers, in Worthing. They were very good , but when I returned with more bits they said they were doing aerospace only.
I went to http://mellowseatonltd.com/ in Crawley
They were great to deal with and did a good job on my nickel.
They are a small outfit so I would get some feedback from others before trusting valued pieces.
Graeme
S4 SE
S2 GTS
Caterham 420R
Sold - Peterson JPS Exige
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: 69S4 » Wed Oct 02, 2019 6:27 am

NYK wrote:I am looking for a quality re-chroming company in Kent/East Sussex/Surrey/South London area. There are three companies I have identified:
1. Ashford chroming - very much bottom on my list as they sub out work to whoever.
2. Chrome Restoration in Folkestone - I have used this company for zinc plating small items and was not that impressed with the plating, although they have some nice motor bikes on display where the chrome looks good
3. Colonnade in Wembley - I have read good reports about this company.

So does anyone have any recommendations for platers in my neck of the woods?

Nic

I'm in the same boat as you with a whole load of motorcycle bits that need replating and I was considering the two in bold above as I'm down that way often enough. Now I'll probably think again.

It's been some years since I last had chroming done and then I used Quality Chrome in Hull. That meant sending parts by post, something I was uneasy with as most of the parts were not easily replaced if they went missing. QC did an ok job except for distorting a headlamp rim (something they apologised for( but didn't adjust the bill!)), but took so long I think the bike went from vintage to veteran status while I was waiting :lol:

Re bright zinc plating - anyone gone down the diy route - via a kit maybe? I've got a whole load of odds and ends that'll be available at different times so I can't bundle it for one professional hit.
Stuart Holding
Thame UK / Alpe D'Huez France
69 S4 FHC
Honda GoldWing 1800
Honda CBX1000
Kawasaki H1 500
Yamaha XS2
69S4
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: 512BB » Wed Oct 02, 2019 6:52 am

When I was a London boy, 40 years ago, cor blimey, and restored my first Sprint, I used The London Chroming Co. who were located down the Old Kent Road. The door frames still look as good today as when collected from said company. Sadly, car has not covered as many miles as I would have liked over the intervening years, but even so, a proper job. Not sure if they are still in business.

Make sure you carry out your due diligence re the chroming process the company of your choice uses, before leaving your precious parts with them. You will get what you pay for, but sometimes you don't even get that!

Leslie
512BB
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: 69S4 » Wed Oct 02, 2019 8:03 am

512BB wrote:When I was a London boy, 40 years ago, cor blimey, and restored my first Sprint, I used The London Chroming Co. who were located down the Old Kent Road. The door frames still look as good today as when collected from said company. Sadly, car has not covered as many miles as I would have liked over the intervening years, but even so, a proper job. Not sure if they are still in business.

Make sure you carry out your due diligence re the chroming process the company of your choice uses, before leaving your precious parts with them. You will get what you pay for, but sometimes you don't even get that!

Leslie

A quick Google brings up a website saying they've been in business 'for decades' and still are. They even have a chromed Lotus hubcap on the front page to emphasise their classic credentials but sadly / annoyingly, other than phone / email contact details, they don't give much more info than that.
Stuart Holding
69 S4 FHC
Honda GoldWing 1800
Honda CBX1000
Kawasaki H1 500
Yamaha XS2
69S4
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: NYK » Wed Oct 02, 2019 9:02 am

69S4 wrote:
512BB wrote:When I was a London boy, 40 years ago, cor blimey, and restored my first Sprint, I used The London Chroming Co. who were located down the Old Kent Road. The door frames still look as good today as when collected from said company. Sadly, car has not covered as many miles as I would have liked over the intervening years, but even so, a proper job. Not sure if they are still in business.

Leslie

A quick Google brings up a website saying they've been in business 'for decades' and still are. They even have a chromed Lotus hubcap on the front page to emphasise their classic credentials but sadly / annoyingly, other than phone / email contact details, they don't give much more info than that.

Yes, but if you look at their phone number, guess what? It?s the same as the Ashford Chroming Company!
It may well be the case that the Ashford company is OK, but I was warned off them by another company in the metal fabrication business who said that you never know where your metal parts are sent and you risk having a poor job done. I have spoken with Ashford and they seemed to operate as a drop off centre. Might give them another call and see if they will tell me where the parts would go and then potentially visit if that?s possible.
NYK
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: NYK » Wed Oct 02, 2019 9:17 am

Just found this post on a bike website regarding London Chroming .....

As an update, I went to see them this week to drop off some more parts, first time I've been there this year, only to find that one of the original owners has died and its been bought out by two of the original employees. Both great lads. They are still in business but have renamed themselves Capital Chrome - 020 7639 6434.
If you're thinking of using them don't look for London Chroming and find their website, its now been 'covered' by Ashford Chroming, so its best to call them direct or pop into see them rather than using their website.

Their website does not seem to work, found a number of reviews that were generally positive then found this review........

Director Richard Chamberlain is an inveterate liar completely incapable of giving a straight answer. Week after week you'll be told your work is finished, in the post, ready and waiting to be picked up. The trouble is after telling so many lies you have to have a good memory and Richard doesn't. If you want to be strung along for months on end. This is the place for you.
My work was ready after just four days I went and picked it up. It wasn't ready and I had to wait nearly an hour. Got home and unboxed, Chrome was flaking off. Called Richard who said it must have happened on the way home as it was perfect when he packed it. Posted back that day. 4 months later after countless phone calls I finally get my pieces back, attached to my bike, and after just 10 weeks the chrome is flaking off again!
It appears Capital Chrome has now gone into liquidation but rest assured they have re-opened as South East Chroming Ltd at the same address. You have been warned!
NYK
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: NYK » Wed Oct 02, 2019 9:43 am

OK, just had a long chat with Ashford Chroming. Bottom line is that they do not tell you who will do the work, when I said I would want to visit the company he was sending the work out to he said he had never been asked that question before.........I simply don?t believe that.

I then challenged him by saying I had received comments of poor workmanship from them, he then admitted one of their suppliers had done some poor plating before he had taken over the management of the company. I said this was exactly why I wanted to inspect the company he would send the work out to. He just got really really evasive on this subject and clearly was not going to yield to my request. He also quoted a lead time of 8-10 weeks getting worse in the winter months.

So my question is this.....why would I use this company who simply act as a forwarding agent, put their management fees on top of the real cost, refuse to tell me who is doing the work and quote a really long lead time.
I?ll answer my own question, I simply would not use this company, I think anyone wanting any plating done would be mad to do so.
NYK
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: MarkDa » Wed Oct 02, 2019 7:11 pm

I fear that you may end up travelling to the midlands.
MarkDa
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: NYK » Wed Oct 02, 2019 8:11 pm

MarkDa wrote:I fear that you may end up travelling to the midlands.

Well I had a long chat with Colonnade in Wembley who have been in business for 60 years, they came across as very professional and were also very scathing of the Ashford mob. I have seen positive reviews for Colonnade and although it?s around 90 miles from me I intend taking some parts over in a couple of weeks.
NYK
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: 69S4 » Thu Oct 03, 2019 7:44 am

NYK wrote:
MarkDa wrote:I fear that you may end up travelling to the midlands.

Well I had a long chat with Colonnade in Wembley who have been in business for 60 years, they came across as very professional and were also very scathing of the Ashford mob. I have seen positive reviews for Colonnade and although it?s around 90 miles from me I intend taking some parts over in a couple of weeks.

I've never heard of Colonnade so I need to check them out as they're not that far from me. The other company that's local(ish) is Akmoto in South Stoke, a little village near Reading ( http://www.polishingakmoto.com ). I know nothing about them, whether they do the work on site or farm stuff out etc, but I'm down there often enough to call in next time. In the meantime let us know how things go with Colonnade.
Stuart Holding
69 S4 FHC
Honda GoldWing 1800
Honda CBX1000
Kawasaki H1 500
Yamaha XS2
69S4
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: jono » Thu Oct 03, 2019 3:01 pm

Just go to Derby Plating and be done with it - their work is simply superb and the price quoted is the price you will pay.

Personally for a job like this I would just use the 'right' firm regardless of where they are.
jono
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Donels » Thu Oct 03, 2019 6:33 pm

I have just had bumpers, window frames and spinners done by Derby Plating. They?re not cheap but they are excellent. They said it would take 6 months as they have so much work on and it did, so plan accordingly.

Re. DIY zinc plating. I bought a kit a few years ago and it?s still in use. It?s easy when you get the hang of it and I use it for everything from nut and bolts to seat runners.

Dave
Elan +2
Elise mk 1
Donels
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: AshleyPark » Thu Oct 03, 2019 7:57 pm

6 Months??!! Half the people on here might not live that long!
AshleyPark
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: 69S4 » Thu Oct 03, 2019 9:02 pm

AshleyPark wrote:6 Months??!! Half the people on here might not live that long!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Six months is ridiculous. What other sort of jobbing business takes six months to start on routine work? Don't answer - I know: painters.

It's just because we're 'hobbyists' with a few awkward parts that mess up their work flow and 'unrealistic' standards. I don't believe there would be a six months wait for commercial clients. If you wanted 10,000 chairs or taps or something chrome plated they'd start tomorrow and my kickstart would be fitted into the gap before the next batch of chairs arrived.
Stuart Holding
69 S4 FHC
Honda GoldWing 1800
Honda CBX1000
Kawasaki H1 500
Yamaha XS2
69S4
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Next

Total Online: