Plus 2 front bumper fitting

PostPost by: NYK » Sat Oct 26, 2019 1:25 pm

Have just had the car resprayed at considerable expense and want to ensure I don?t mark the paintwork when fitting the front bumper. I thought of fitting 30mm wide 1.5mm thick neoprene rubber ?sponge? strip on the inside top and bottom edges. I guess this stuff with compress down to less than 1mm and would prevent the bumper digging into the paintwork.

Would this be a good idea, what have others done when fitting the bumper?
NYK
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Gordon Sauer » Sat Oct 26, 2019 8:03 pm

Mounted mine as is and I don?t remember any special spacers or anything and it is not dug in and yes it is right down against the paint but in eight years or so no movement or anything happened that made it mar the paint or anything, Gordon Sauer
Gordon Sauer
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: NYK » Sat Oct 26, 2019 8:19 pm

Gordon Sauer wrote:Mounted mine as is and I don?t remember any special spacers or anything and it is not dug in and yes it is right down against the paint but in eight years or so no movement or anything happened that made it mar the paint or anything, Gordon Sauer

Thanks Gordon
NYK
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Gordon Sauer » Sat Oct 26, 2019 10:03 pm

Now that I said that and I got your thank you it reminded me that there were some old rubber pieces that were under there that spaced it out some so these weren?t added by me but I did return those as part of the mounting and to confirm my memory I looked up on RD enterprises that there are rubber blocks that are part of the mounting system of the front bumper so be sure to use those. Gordon Sauer
Gordon Sauer
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: alan.barker » Sun Oct 27, 2019 6:25 am

I've always fitted rubber pads between bumpers and body.At the back bumper it stops ingress of water into boot.
Alan
Alan.b Brittany 1972 elan sprint fhc Lagoon Blue 0460E
alan.barker
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: mikealdren » Sun Oct 27, 2019 8:30 am

Old inner tube rubber is a good material and free from your local friendly tyre fitter.
mikealdren
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: LaikaTheDog » Sun Oct 27, 2019 8:05 pm

There are square rubber washers under each hole.
LaikaTheDog
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: NYK » Sun Oct 27, 2019 9:24 pm

LaikaTheDog wrote:There are square rubber washers under each hole.

How thick are those washers?
NYK
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Gordon Sauer » Sun Oct 27, 2019 9:29 pm

I thought I remember may be a good eighth of an inch unless somebody has one and they can measure it otherwise maybe call RD Enterprises and I?m sure they?d be willing to measure it, Gordon
Gordon Sauer
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: jono » Mon Oct 28, 2019 10:19 am

When I restored my Plus 2 I bought a large bag of rubber penny washers, about 1.5mm thick, and used a number of these under each moutning point for the front and rear bumpers

Those washers were used exensively in my resto, usually with a stainless penny 'compression' washer, and were one of the best few quid, I ever spent.
jono
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Davefettback » Thu Oct 31, 2019 7:56 am

There are square hard rubber washers about 1 1/4? and about a fat ?? thick. Lay masking tape down on the whole area to protect the paint. It shouldn?t touch the body. I recut my washers from the rubber spacer used for the fuel tank, but any hard rubber will do.
Davefettback
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: NYK » Thu Oct 31, 2019 8:28 am

Davefettback wrote:There are square hard rubber washers about 1 1/4? and about a fat ?? thick. Lay masking tape down on the whole area to protect the paint. It shouldn?t touch the body. I recut my washers from the rubber spacer used for the fuel tank, but any hard rubber will do.

Thanks, will give it a go
NYK
Third Gear
Third Gear

Total Online: