Dash radio pocket options

PostPost by: snowyelan » Wed Nov 13, 2019 7:59 pm

Hi All,
I'm currently considering replacing the radio with a pocket instead of a blanking plate. Has anyone done this? I see lots of nasty generic plastic kits online but nothing that looks the part. There is a MGB radio trim plate with a chrome edge but I'd have to adapt it to a pocket.
Thoughts? Or even better pics or links?
Scott
45/9011
Hawkestone, On, Ca
snowyelan
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Bill » Wed Nov 13, 2019 9:09 pm

One of the group found a source for a perfect fit one a year or so back on amazon I believe - about $8 from China - fit the S1 like a dream, sorry but I lost the info.

Bill
Bill Rathlef
Vancouver Island, Canada
"Keep your stick on the ice, boys."
Bill
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: snowyelan » Thu Nov 14, 2019 1:04 am

Thanks Bill
I tracked down the post but it's not the look I'm after, too much plastic showing. Link below is for the trim ring I think I might start with then 3d print a pocket maybe. The ultimate look I'm after is a chrome trim inset and profiled the same as the instrument dials. I can't figure out a simple way to create this though.

https://mossmotors.com/bezel-radio-aper ... ssoc=22904
Scott
45/9011
Hawkestone, On, Ca
snowyelan
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: stugilmour » Thu Nov 14, 2019 3:29 am

Scott, I think I get what you are trying for. Like your idea of the Moss chrome surround attached to one of the standard Single DIN plastic pockets. Perhaps the plastic pocket could be toned down with either a textured spray paint or a faux suede paint?

Maybe try Valspar, Ralph Lauren, and Krylon for the available suede paints? Looks like Krylon made a spray that may be taken over by Valspar now. Ralph Lauren looks to be brush applied. Have not used them myself but I see the modelling guys use them to nice effect for their model car interiors.

I did use a Satin Black textured spray paint from Home Depot to make a plastic radio faceplate look a good deal better. There is a picture of the plastic plate here, although it is kind of low resolution.

viewtopic.php?f=38&t=24878&start=

Stu
Stu
1969 Plus 2 Federal LHD
stugilmour
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: LaikaTheDog » Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:21 am

Once you have the correct shape this company can "chrome" whatever part you need.. or the whole thing and then you can paint it to hide the chrome you dont need.

This is the same chrome process favoured by most car manufacturers for trim parts;

https://www.vmclimited.co.uk/

They dont have a booth large enough for bumpers... which is a shame. A colleague of mine had air intakes on a Corvette chromed by these guys and it lasted on the outside of his car for more than 5 years..
LaikaTheDog
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: stovekjj » Thu Nov 14, 2019 6:36 pm

I bought the $ 8.92 version off amazon april 2018,
it works for my needs ( my S3 is a driver )

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0001 ... UTF8&psc=1
stovekjj
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: Bill » Thu Nov 14, 2019 7:14 pm

Scott
The black plastic amazon bin matches the S1 dash components as the instrument bezels are black, not chrome.
Fits perfect - works a treat.

keep your stick on the ice!

Bill
Bill Rathlef
Vancouver Island, Canada
"Keep your stick on the ice, boys."
Bill
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: snowyelan » Sat Nov 16, 2019 12:08 am

Hi All,

Thanks for the links and suggestions. I have a kit to flock the glovebox so I may use that for the inside of the pocket as well. I'm also considering machining the trim ring and having it chromed. I think for now I'll order the MGB trim plate and see if it's useable. I'm not sure what the overall dimensions are though. Anyone have an earlier B they could measure?
Scott
45/9011
Hawkestone, On, Ca
snowyelan
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: h20hamelan » Sat Nov 16, 2019 2:05 am

Outside of o2 sensor, oil and coolant low and out dummy lights
Most cars trucks etc lack tyre pressure monitors
Tyres can go flat quick, and you may not have enough time to understand what?s going on
Reason it?s mandatory on vehicles since 2008
There are enough options out there now a days. I have tpms fitted in my ash tray slot on my elan, and +2. Where as the elise and bikes i just use the app on my phone. My wreckers have them on the dollies and I really appreciate it. So many times my Dollie tyres go flat from...or in the dark.
Attachments
3aa0b8bb-3161-4795-ac1d-191647b7b135.jpeg and
508798ba-90d9-4c0c-af90-b9c24e2bf372.jpeg and
Born, and brought home from the hospital (no seat belt (wtf)) in a baby!
Find out where the limits are, and start from there
Love your Mother
Earth
h20hamelan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: stugilmour » Sat Nov 16, 2019 4:46 pm

snowyelan wrote:Hi All,

Thanks for the links and suggestions. I have a kit to flock the glovebox so I may use that for the inside of the pocket as well. I'm also considering machining the trim ring and having it chromed. I think for now I'll order the MGB trim plate and see if it's useable. I'm not sure what the overall dimensions are though. Anyone have an earlier B they could measure?

Nothing definitive on this forum thread, but one post indicates 7 3/8? x 2 3/8? with the Moss Chrome bezel installed around the DIN standard 7? x 2? opening and blanking plate. Unfortunately the pictures don?t show without joining the forum. Maybe an MGB owner can pull the pics if they would be helpful?

https://www.mgexp.com/forum/mgb-and-gt- ... e.3488975/

Moss bit should be worth a shot for your project. Unfortunately when I went to cart checkout on the Moss site they have a $10 minimum. :( We have a Moss supplier locally so perhaps I will just order one there or add a couple of light bulbs to my online order.

Just an aside, but IIRC my Randy Keller replacement dash had the radio aperture slightly larger than DIN, so measure your opening. I believe Randy is generally pretty sharp at matching stock dimensions. I kinda doubt the DIN standard existed when our cars were built. :D

Can you share some info/results on your flocking kit? I got overwhelmed with white Christmas tree snow when I looked online. :D

Stu

PS Funny to see several Canucks on this thread. Definitely winter when I start inventing little car projects! As Bill always says, keep your stick on the ice!
Stu
1969 Plus 2 Federal LHD
stugilmour
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: snowyelan » Sat Nov 16, 2019 5:17 pm

Hi Stu,
Haven't tried to flock it yet but I bought the flocking kit below.

https://www.leevalley.com/en-ca/shop/to ... ocking-kit

I've a local distributor for moss as well so I'll probably get him to order it. The blanking fill plate that fits in the trim ring has a scale beside it, 7", so it's got to be very close to din on the inner dimension.

My original opening was slightly under din size, been adjusted since, only a few strokes with a file.
Scott
45/9011
Hawkestone, On, Ca
snowyelan
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: stugilmour » Sat Nov 16, 2019 8:32 pm

Thanks Scott. The Lee Valley kit flocking looks perfect. :D

Looking around, I think there can be a bit of confusion on the DIN size dimensions. I see some references to the DIN aperture being 1/8? larger (1/16? per side) than the oft quoted 2? x 7? size, which could be the mounting sleeve or radio chassis size. I have bought stuff from these guys in the past, and they seem to have a pretty good explanation....

https://knowledge.sonicelectronix.com/h ... din-sizes/

All the best with the project. :D

Stu
Stu
1969 Plus 2 Federal LHD
stugilmour
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: The Veg » Sun Nov 17, 2019 5:15 pm

stugilmour wrote:
snowyelan wrote:As Bill always says, keep your stick on the ice!

I thought it was Red Green! :mrgreen:
1970 Elan Plus 2 (not S) 50/2036
2012 BMW R1200GS
"It just wouldn't be a complete day if I didn't forget something!" -Me
The Veg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: