The Little Things - (Boot lid spring and bracket).

PostPost by: ceejay » Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:25 am

For several decades (post 1982) the boot lid on my S2 DHC never had the special support bracket, spring, and the nylon bobbin, they are the parts that all work in unison to keep the lid raised when you lift it up to get something out of the boot (Some people call it a trunk?)

So, during the 2017 Australian national Lotus gathering, I was discussing various things Lotus with Queensland elan owner Craig Wilson (Many decades a Lotus elan owner). I happened to mention to him of not ever having the boot lid holding spring and sheet metal holding bracket etc... then Craig said, "I have the fix for you", he told me that he had several of the brackets made up... and as luck has it, he still has several available if anyone is interested in getting their hands on one of these hard to get parts, and I think they are common from the S1 to S4, someone correct me if that is not right.

So, while Craig could supply the sheet metal mounting bracket, I sourced the special wire spring from Ray at RD Ent USA, and the bobbin, I machined from a short length of white nylon rod, it went together rather well... the machined groove in the bobbin had to be made a fraction larger, but a couple of minutes work in the lathe sorted that out.

So thanks to you Craig I now have a boot lid that stays up when its opened, and with a gentle push, the lid can be closed again without any fuss. Craig is a poster on this forum, but if you wish to contact him - PM me and I'll put you in touch.
Attachments
1-boot-lid-open.jpg and
yay, boot lid stays open
2-spring-bobbin.jpg and
The wire spring
3-bracket-elan-boot.jpg and
The very well made sheet metal holding bracket.
Live your dream-wear your passion.
http://elantrikbits.com/lotus-elan-blog/
ceejay
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:57 am

The original Lotus bracket in my S4 is much cruder in design. :lol:

cheers
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: ceejay » Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:07 am

Better contact Craig Rohan.
Col.
Live your dream-wear your passion.
http://elantrikbits.com/lotus-elan-blog/
ceejay
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: nmauduit » Tue Nov 19, 2019 12:15 pm

there is quite a bit of torque on the bracket back onto the hinge, which over time may develop stress cracks : several approaches have been offered to take up some of the stress

viewtopic.php?f=36&t=34119&start=

what I've done on my cars is glassing an alloy profile behind the rain gutter so that it does not show, on which are bolted the hinges and stock spring holder.
S4SE 36/8198
nmauduit
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: pharriso » Tue Nov 19, 2019 12:53 pm

You are also missing the Rear scuttle brace- see this topic to see how they fit together http://www.lotuselan.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=28016

Without the Rear scuttle brace, but with the boot stay, the rear deck is going to flex more & you risk crazing around the RH hinge, ask me how I know... :roll:
Phil Harrison
1972 Elan Sprint 0260K
pharriso
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: ceejay » Tue Nov 19, 2019 7:00 pm

Well that is interesting, I will check that out. But I note that the the S2 hinges have a wider footprint on the body, so may not be a problem as per later short base hinges on later cars....but should not be difficult to create a stiffer base for the mount.
ceejay
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Total Online: