Outside Mirrors

PostPost by: 1964 S1 » Sun Sep 28, 2003 12:38 am

You may be right, but techinically/legally, except for seatbelts, whatever was standard equipment during year of production is probably enough. Safety wise and aesthetically, an outside mirror on the driver's door is probably best but still I drive mostly in the city without one and "always" turn / glance back, both ways.
Another solution is to drive fast enough to stay ahead of ------------e v e r y b o d y
1964 S1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: type36lotus » Mon Sep 29, 2003 1:40 am

Therein lies a question. When did the U.S. require an outside rearview mirror? This car came from the Bahamas and I guess was configured for their requirements (if any) as it has no outside mirrors, nor did it have any holes, filled or otherwise.

Mike G
Mike Geiger
66 S3 Coupe', no more :-(
type36lotus
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: steveww » Mon Sep 29, 2003 8:30 pm

My S4 has a little square overtaking mirror that just clamps on to the window frame. So no drilling and easy to take off for shows. It works well, does not vibrate and give a pretty good view of behind. The car came with it already fitted but I have seen them advertised in all the classic mags.
steveww
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: 1964 S1 » Wed Oct 08, 2003 3:36 am

Solution, if it came from the Bahamas and is original, holes are a mistake, try the exterior clamp on mirror or those two little convex stick ons I mentioned...
I'm working on when exterior mirrors were required, guessing 1968, and will follow up.
1964 S1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: pereirac » Mon Oct 20, 2003 8:03 am

I also fitted one of the small rectangular mirrors which clip to the window frame on the drivers side. It's great, works well and best of all you don't have to make holes in your bodywork. so if you change your mind....
Carl

72 Elan Sprint
87 Excel SE
97 Alpina B10

http://www.lotuselan.co.uk
pereirac
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: type36lotus » Thu Oct 23, 2003 2:41 am

Drilling holes is what is making this so tough. Right now I have one of those little oblong parabolic mirrors (autobahn) stuck to the windshield. It works acceptably well. You just need to always remember "Objects are WAY closer than they appear". I am probably going to stick with it. There was a British car meet here in Tampa and I checked out other cars. Many had no outside mirrors. So I don't feel too unsafe. I guess I am just going to have to turn my head!!

Mike G
Mike Geiger
type36lotus
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: cliveyboy » Thu Oct 23, 2003 6:54 am

I have used the bullet type mirrors on a few classic cars and always find they give a very limited restrictive view especially the passenger side and can be a pain to position and always a compromise between where to position them for asthetics and still be usable. On my Sprint I use period wing mirrors (which I believe were fitted on British Leyland cars during that era.)
Check out the before and after pictures on my web site :-
<a href='http://groups.msn.com/cliveyboylotus' target='_blank'>http://groups.msn.com/cliveyboylotus</a>
1972 Elan Sprint FHC
cliveyboy
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: type36lotus » Sat Oct 25, 2003 12:57 am

Clive,

Well they certianly look very good, the car does too! If I can't get used to turning my head they are certainly an option. I have never been really keen on the bullets, but saw no acceptable (to me) alternative.

Mike G
Mike Geiger
type36lotus
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: TimMullen » Wed Nov 05, 2003 11:44 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-gjz30075+Sep 23 2003, 06:55 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (gjz30075 @ Sep 23 2003, 06:55 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->I've got one Sebring Mach I (yeah, the original type with the metal body) [/quote]
Actually, the Sebrings were chrome plated plastic. For years they were hard/impossible to find, but you can get them now from Aardvark<a href='http://www.fullspeed.to/lotuselan' target='_blank'>Aardvark International</a>.

Tim Mullen
Tim Mullen

72 Elan S4 Sprint - Colorado Orange over Cirris White
05 Elise - Colorado Orange
TimMullen
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: twincamman » Tue Nov 25, 2003 10:34 pm

i use those small formula car mirrors from on my 7 and :rolleyes: am putting a set on the doors of the elan no vibes and the convex lens sees all ed
dont close your eyes --you will miss the crash

Editor: On June 12, 2020, Edward Law, AKA TwinCamMan, passed away; his obituary can be read at https://www.friscolanti.com/obituary/edward-law. He will be missed.
twincamman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: sotul86 » Tue Dec 23, 2003 4:39 pm

Hi to You all

I bought me my own christmas gift and now it?s installed

Looking good ...or ???

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year

From Lotus country Sweden

Johan Thoren

<a href='http://fullspeed.to/lotuselan' target='_blank'>Orange LOTUS</a>
Johan
sotul86
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: gjz30075 » Tue Dec 23, 2003 11:22 pm

Johan, that looks great. Very nice.

Greg Z.
Greg Z
45/0243K Sprint
45/7286 S3 SE DHC
gjz30075
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: poiuyt » Fri Dec 03, 2004 5:33 am

Victoria British (www.victoriabritish.com) has some talbot-style mirrors that are universal (they sell them for MG, Sunbeam, Triumph, etc. They are about $40 each.

Question: How do you get inside the doors? Do you have to remove the windshiels frame and window unit?

Steve B.
Steve B.<br>1969 Elan S4
poiuyt
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: GrUmPyBoDgEr » Fri Dec 03, 2004 1:29 pm

Hi there,
I fitted two mirrors to my S4 Elan just as shown in the picture of the orange Elan. They look just as good but mine are so poorly positioned that I cannot adjust them sufficiently to make them really useable. Big problem because there are now two bolt holes in each door.
My tip don't do this job on your own. Sit in the car and get a helper to hold the mirrors in position and then determine where to drill the holes.
Beware of the Illuminati

Editor: On Sunday morning, February 8th 2015, Derek "John" Pelly AKA GrumpyBodger passed away genuinely peacefully at Weston Hospicecare, Weston Super Mare. He will be missed.
GrUmPyBoDgEr
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Frank Howard » Fri Dec 03, 2004 10:29 pm

;) Johan,

I mounted the same mirror on my Elan and I can't tell by your picture, but the front of the base on mine had to be angled down about 13mm (1/2") rather than level with the rear of the base in order for the mirror to work. Looks kind of funky, but it's functional!

And Steve B.,

The window frame does have to come out of an S4 or Sprint to install the mirror. Not sure about the earlier models.

Frank Howard
'71 S4 SE
Minnesota
Frank Howard
'71 S4 SE
Minnesota
Frank Howard
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PreviousNext

Total Online: