Swap driver and passenger seats?

PostPost by: Richardsona39 » Mon Feb 06, 2023 2:29 am

The driver's seat in our 71 Elan +2 is a bit knackered but the passenger seat is in good shape. Any idea if they can be swapped? Any issues with clearing the transmission tunnel, or the seat position adjustment lever engaging properly? (It's pretty dicey on the driver side as-is whether it properly latches into place, which can make life exciting!)
Richardsona39
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: alanr » Mon Feb 06, 2023 9:04 am

No, as far as I know this is not possible. I looked at this when I had my drivers seat in pieces.
The rake adjustment mechanism cannot be moved to the opposite side of the seat.
The frame is obviously different between the two seat bases and just to change the seat over completely you would end up with rake adjustment on the inside which won't work being too close to the tunnel.

re- Rake adjustment not working properly. Mine didn't work properly but with the seat stripped and foam all off a good dose of WD40 soon freed off the mechanism and it now works fine.

Alan
Alan
'71 +2 S130/ 5speed Type9.
alanr
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Dinorob » Mon Feb 06, 2023 11:56 am

Hi
I’ve just converted a spare passenger seat into a drivers seat.
The rake adjustment mechanism runs right through from one side of the seat to the other side making them the same base they then welded on a square stub that the adjustment handle fits on to. I cut off the stub and welded it back on on the other side and refitted the handle and bingo I’ve now got a drivers seat.
Last edited by Dinorob on Mon Feb 06, 2023 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dinorob
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: alanr » Mon Feb 06, 2023 12:18 pm

Dinorob wrote:Hi
I’ve just converted a spare passenger seat into a drivers seat.
The rake adjustment mechanism runs right through from one side of the seat to the other side making them the same base they then welded on a square stub that the adjustment handle fits on to. I cut off the sub and welded it back on on the other side and refitted the handle and bingo I’ve now got a drivers seat.

Good one!.....
With mine I didn't consider doing a cut and re-welding of the frame but well done for the ingenuity!

Alan
Alan
'71 +2 S130/ 5speed Type9.
alanr
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Hawksfield » Mon Feb 06, 2023 12:50 pm

Hi all

I have done this and they fit, its a bit tighter to the transmission tunnel and the adjuster for the rake is a fiddle but I am the only driver so this is fine. the passenger side is set up for the wife so again not a problem.
I notice there is a seller on eBay that is selling +2 seat covers that is a solution but I will keep a look out for a passenger seat for sale.
John

+2s130 1971
Hawksfield
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Richardsona39 » Mon Feb 06, 2023 3:23 pm

Thanks all for the input. Sounds like not terribly complicated but not a straight plug and play.
Richardsona39
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: alan.barker » Mon Feb 06, 2023 6:02 pm

Surely you need to put a new Foam in the driver's seat + new pad underneath.
Alan
Alan.b Brittany 1972 elan sprint fhc Lagoon Blue 0460E
alan.barker
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Dinorob » Mon Feb 06, 2023 6:11 pm

I picked up a perfect passenger seat in the right colour so it was just move the ratchet handle to the other side of the seat to make it a drivers seat, then sent old drivers seat to the tip.
Dinorob
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: Richardsona39 » Tue Feb 07, 2023 5:29 pm

alan.barker wrote:Surely you need to put a new Foam in the driver's seat + new pad underneath.
Alan

That would be nice though I don't think it's quite that straightforward. The back of the seat has been bent back at an incline and torqued slightly, and for my wife it's not comfortable to drive. So there's something more structural going on internally. I've never taken a seat apart so no idea what that might involve to fix! Maybe it's not difficult.
Richardsona39
First Gear
First Gear

Total Online: