S4 door latch locking mechanism

PostPost by: gjz30075 » Sat Feb 18, 2023 9:23 pm

I never could get one of my doors to actually lock and the reason is one of the latches has a 'tail' on the
locking lever. Consequently the 'tail' runs into the release mechanism and cannot go fully 'locked'.

The latch that *does* lock has no 'tail' on the locking lever, hence, seems to work fine. I bought two
new latch assemblies many years ago and now noticed they both have 'tails' on their locking lever
and will not lock.

The first picture shows the latch in the locked position. Second picture shows the almost missing 'tail
part of the lever (same latch as the first pic). The third picture shows the 'tail' running into the release part of the latch and no way will it ever completely lock.

So, before I take a cutting wheel to the tails of the locking levers, what does a good locking S4
latch look like in this area? Are my new ones wrong, ie, different application? FYi, the pics show
the old latches. The new latchs' lock levers look just like the bottom picture.
Attachments
IMG_1185.JPG and
IMG_1184.JPG and
IMG_1183.JPG and
Greg Z
45/0243K Sprint
45/7286 S3 SE DHC
gjz30075
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: oldelanman » Sun Feb 19, 2023 7:10 am

Hi Greg,
These are the only pics of my S4 locks I can find in my files. Not sure if they will help you much but the locks do work OK.
One thing to note is that the short rods from outside lock and release push button are handed but I think it is possible to fit them to the wrong side and also reversed from end to end but the locks will not then operate properly.

Driver door lock problem 011.jpg and
RHS lock
Driver door lock problem 010.jpg and
RHS lock
Attachments
Passenger door lock assembly.jpg and
LHS lock
Roger
S4 DHC
oldelanman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: gjz30075 » Sun Feb 19, 2023 9:55 am

Roger, the rods aren't even into play here.. I illustrated the 'tail' on your picture that is fouling the
release portion on mine when attempting to pivot to the lock position. Byi the way, your pictures
are much clearer than mine, thanks!

It's possible the latch release mechanism is not going to full release to allow the lock lever
to work. Hmmmm,,,,,

Thanks Roger.
Attachments
Driver door lock problem 011.jpg and
Greg Z
45/0243K Sprint
45/7286 S3 SE DHC
gjz30075
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: gjz30075 » Sun Feb 19, 2023 8:27 pm

Got it figured out. I didn't have the door fully latched, simulated. Thanks all!
Greg Z
45/0243K Sprint
45/7286 S3 SE DHC
gjz30075
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: