S4 Dashboard Fit

PostPost by: RichardHawkins » Sun Jul 23, 2023 7:15 pm

My car is an S4 FHC 1968. I have just refitted the Dashboard for what I hope is the last time. This is my third refitting and the reason is that the two screws in the top middle needed a spacer 5/8” long between the Dashboard and the bobbins under the crash pad. I have checked that the dashboard is straight, but I would have had to bend the dash if I had not used spacers.

Has anyone else had this issue or am I doing something wrong?

Richard Hawkins
RichardHawkins
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: JonB » Mon Jul 24, 2023 7:40 am

No spacers behind my S4 DHC dash, if that helps.

I wouldn’t worry about it too much. Lotus build quality wasn’t anything like as good as their advertising promised, as I’m sure many will tell you.
JonB
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: 512BB » Mon Jul 24, 2023 9:18 am

I have the dashboard out of a Sprint at the moment, to get the heater to work and to get the rev counter working again. You need to make sure that the lower front edge of the heater box is sitting in its groove, so to speak, on top of the tunnel, and that the loom is not trapped between the steel heater box bracket and the back of the dash.

You do not say if the dashboard fitted properly without spacers before removal, but I would think that something is stopping it from seating correctly.

Leslie
512BB
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elanner » Mon Jul 24, 2023 10:46 am

My S4's dashboard has spacers in the same place and of about the same size. I'm pretty sure that it's fitted correctly so have always assumed that the bobbins are simply wrong. If I have to remove the dash again I'll look at reglassing them in the correct position.

Nick
elanner
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: RAJ2628 » Mon Jul 24, 2023 3:12 pm

I recently had the same issue. My heater was set too far to the rear and the (brand new) harness junction needs to be maneuvered. It is really wakward on your own and just awkward with 2 people. Will the chrome fitting screw have enough length to sufficiently engage into the bobbin if it has to bridge an extra 5/8"
RAJ2628
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: RichardHawkins » Mon Jul 24, 2023 7:26 pm

Thanks everyone,

Nothing is trapped behind the dash, the two outer screws left and right are tight and the two in front of the gearstick tight, the dash is straight, flat. Unfortunately, it is so long ago that I removed the old dash that I cannot remember if it was forced into place and curved when I removed it. I still have the old dash, which is almost straight, with a slight bend of 3/16”.

Richard Hawkins
RichardHawkins
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: