Rear Strut Brace

PostPost by: smo17003 » Sun Aug 13, 2023 1:28 pm

The Buckland book quotes that the brace is "required on all Elans from S3 onwards". Having a Spyder chassis does not mean that the brace becomes unnecessary.

Many years ago I viewed an Elan for sale that was missing the brace but had a pair of loudspeakers on the backboard. The "shadow" of the brace was still there so presumably it had been removed to fit the speakers.
Mike
1967 S3 FHC
1968 S4 FHC
smo17003
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: MACCA.GLM » Sun Aug 13, 2023 2:27 pm

That's interesting I have speakers in the back of my sprint.i will check with spider on that point

30 years ago I fitted a new spider chassis to my Plus 2 and I Carnt remember a rear strut brace on that though

thanks G
MACCA.GLM
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: MACCA.GLM » Mon Aug 14, 2023 8:21 pm

Hi guys

I have been in touch with spider and the chassis does have fixing holes for one of these strut braces, so cannot understand why one was not fitted years ago.

Does anyone know if this part can be fitted with the body on. If it Carnt and the body needs to come off the chassis

I will not bother doing it. Just seems an awful lot of work considering the car has been ok all these years with no

faults on the turrets yet

Regards G
MACCA.GLM
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: billwill » Mon Aug 14, 2023 9:59 pm

Me thinx maybe it only comes into play when you roll the car over!
Bill Williams

36/6725 S3 Coupe OGU108E Yellow over Black.
billwill
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Foxie » Mon Aug 14, 2023 10:36 pm

MACCA.GLM wrote:Hi guys

I have been in touch with spider and the chassis does have fixing holes for one of these strut braces, so cannot understand why one was not fitted years ago.

Does anyone know if this part can be fitted with the body on. If it can't and the body needs to come off the chassis if I will not bother doing it. Just seems an awful lot of work considering the car has been ok all these years with no faults on the turrets yet

Regards G

It is secured by the same 2 bolts passing through the body to the rear turrets. They now secure my rear roll cage with integral brace bar.

You might have to jack the rear chassis to take the weight off the rear suspension and/or taper the nose of the bolts when replacing the them to get the alignment right.

On my original Lotus chassis, both the 'ears' on the rear turrets bent upwards, and the front turrets cracked. I now also have a front turret brace.

:)
68 Elan +2, 70 Elan +2s
Foxie
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: smo17003 » Mon Aug 14, 2023 10:45 pm

MACCA.GLM wrote:Hi guys

Does anyone know if this part can be fitted with the body on. If it Carnt and the body needs to come off the chassis

I will not bother doing it. Just seems an awful lot of work considering the car has been ok all these years with no

faults on the turrets yet

Regards G

I'm not sure how Spyder explained it to you, but the brace is fitted after the body is fitted using the same holes that attach the body to the chassis i.e the bolts go through the brace, then through the body bobbins, then into the chassis. 60's afterthought engineering at its best.

There's a photo here that shows it really well viewtopic.php?f=36&t=29113

As you have the Spyder chassis the seatbelt mounting outriggers that are mentioned are already incorporated into the chassis turrets, so don't go looking for the outrigger plates. Also note that it is fitted cabin side, not trunk side as previously mentioned.
Mike
1967 S3 FHC
1968 S4 FHC
smo17003
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: MACCA.GLM » Tue Aug 15, 2023 9:35 am

Thanks Mike for all the info especially the pics of the position.

I was wondering where it was fitted and thought it was between the body and the chassis on the trunk side hence why cannot see one on my car.Now with the drawing you sent I have to remove the carpet behind the seats to see if one is fitted if not its a fairly easy operation and not a body off chassis job

Once again thanks all for the feedback

G
MACCA.GLM
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: smo17003 » Tue Aug 15, 2023 12:18 pm

G.

Without the help of this incredible forum my S4 would still be a pile of bits. We all start out asking the questions, so hopefully there will come a time when a forum member asks a question that you might know an answer to.

Cheers

Mike
Mike
1967 S3 FHC
1968 S4 FHC
smo17003
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: pharriso » Tue Aug 15, 2023 3:29 pm

MACCA.GLM wrote:Thanks Mike for all the info especially the pics of the position.

I was wondering where it was fitted and thought it was between the body and the chassis on the trunk side hence why cannot see one on my car.Now with the drawing you sent I have to remove the carpet behind the seats to see if one is fitted if not its a fairly easy operation and not a body off chassis job

G

+1
Phil Harrison
1972 Elan Sprint 0260K
pharriso
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: MACCA.GLM » Tue Aug 15, 2023 3:42 pm

Totally agree my friend

There is always someone who has had the same problems and can give an answer.

Anyone with an elan or plus 2 needs to be on this site

I have said this before

well done lotus elan . net
MACCA.GLM
Second Gear
Second Gear

Previous

Total Online: