S2 windows check mechanism

PostPost by: wolfchen » Wed Oct 11, 2023 6:14 pm

on the S2 elan there should be a mechanism that hold the window in the "up" position. it's in the door and has a small lever below the door lock. It doesn't seem to be listed or illustrated in any parts books but doesn't anyone
on elan.net have a photo or perhaps a part number or source ? it's the part in the door that interests me, the lever is simple to make
wolfchen
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: types26/36 » Wed Oct 11, 2023 7:05 pm

This thread may help a bit. According to the manual the window locks were available for cars fitted with hardtops.
viewtopic.php?f=36&t=23964
Brian
64 S2 Roadster
72 Sprint FHC
types26/36
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: wolfchen » Wed Oct 11, 2023 7:48 pm

i did see that thread, but I don't see why it wouldn't work to hold up windows in a DHC ? I looked at photos but still not clear how it works and what you need there are holes in chrome piece for the lever

jeffrey
wolfchen
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: types26/36 » Wed Oct 11, 2023 8:50 pm

My windows stay up by themselves but can be slid up or down using the finger lever. They do not need the locking catch to hold them up.
As I understand it the locking catch is used to prevent unlawful entry if the car is locked.
It would be a bit pointless using the locking catch if the car is open or with the soft top fitted hence with a hardtop, the car becomes a little more secure.
The locking lever is just a pivoting lever that engages with some holes in the window channel when the small toggle lever is pressed in.
I think I may have some pictures of it from when I rebuilt the car. I'll see if I can find them.
Brian
64 S2 Roadster
72 Sprint FHC
types26/36
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: types26/36 » Thu Oct 12, 2023 3:33 pm

wolfchen wrote: I looked at photos but still not clear how it works and what you need there are holes in chrome piece for the lever jeffrey

Here are a few of my pictures and others collected from the forums gallery (with acknowledgement to the original posters)
They show the window locking mechanism (pivoting lever) with the hook that engages with holes in the window channel preventing the window from coming down.
Attachments
p1.JPG and
p2.JPG and
p3.JPG and
p4.JPG and
p5.JPG and
p6.JPG and
p7.JPG and
Brian
64 S2 Roadster
72 Sprint FHC
types26/36