Fitting body to chassis with radiator already in body?

PostPost by: RichardHawkins » Thu Oct 12, 2023 7:06 pm

I have just carried out a test fit of the radiator into the body. I found this very difficult as I no longer have the strength to hold the radiator at arm’s length, and had to use a chain block, and would rather not do this again. My engine and gearbox are in the chassis.

Has anyone fitted the body with the radiator in the body and the engine in the chassis?

Richard Hawkins
RichardHawkins
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: pharriso » Thu Oct 12, 2023 10:17 pm

Fit it from the side not from the front?
(\evil grin)
Phil Harrison
1972 Elan Sprint 0260K
pharriso
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: HCA » Fri Oct 13, 2023 3:49 am

I gues you could - but there is little room between front pulleys and rad, so care needed in lowering not to damage fins…
Hal Adams
Evora S
Elan +2
HCA
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: RichardHawkins » Fri Oct 13, 2023 6:30 pm

Phil,

I do not understand what you are suggesting, could you expand please.

Richard Hawkins
RichardHawkins
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: TrevorJones » Fri Oct 13, 2023 8:08 pm

Hi Richard
I have a TTR alloy rad and NO engine fan and I have removed and refitted the body with the rad in place. You will need some help to ensure the body moves nice and level at all time during the lowering operation to avoid contact with the water pump pully.

I only did it this way because the gearbox seized and i wanted to disturb the minimal amount of the car, I have a soft top, overhead 1 tonne hoist and could not be bothered with all the faff around the 4 to 2 to 1 exhaust and its heat protective insulation. Much easier dealing exhaust and engine removal with the body sitting outside under cover.

good luck.

if i have only lifted the shell to
TrevorJones
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: vstibbard » Fri Oct 13, 2023 9:09 pm

It’s possible for early cars, I fully assemble chassis engine etc with new shells then fit rad, wiring etc to get all penetrations done and spacer made for all mounting point before painting. I lift shell off paint and refit.
I’d use a piece of 3 ply plywood across face of radiator to protect the core and go slow.
V
vstibbard
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: pharriso » Fri Oct 13, 2023 11:35 pm

RichardHawkins wrote:Phil,

I do not understand what you are suggesting, could you expand please.

Richard Hawkins

You were saying that you struggle "to hold the radiator at arm’s length", which made me think that you were installing the radiator from the front of the car. I was suggesting to step around the side of the car, then you would not have to reach as far.
Phil Harrison
1972 Elan Sprint 0260K
pharriso
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: RichardHawkins » Sat Oct 14, 2023 6:27 pm

Thanks everyone, for the help and advice, the piece of plywood seems a very useful idea. My main problem is old age and lack of strength. Using a chain block seems excessive, but it does give me gentle control.

Richard Hawkins
RichardHawkins
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: