seatbelt anchors

PostPost by: danielmo » Mon Jan 29, 2024 3:28 am

Does anyone know the difference between the S3 and S4 seatbelt anchors at the top of the rear struts? I have a set from an S4, wondering if they will fit the S3.

Thanks.
danielmo
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Lotus54 » Mon Jan 29, 2024 4:52 am

I just installed some on my S3. The listing didn’t say what model they fit- and worked fine. So perhaps they are all the same?
1966 Lotus Elan S3- Benelli motorcycles (various)
Lotus54
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: oldelanman » Mon Jan 29, 2024 8:04 am

The S4 bracket is 20mm longer to move the mounting point further outboard and reduce the tendency for the seatbelt to cut into your neck. If you use the longer S4 bracket on an S3 you will need to modify the fibreglass to make room for the anchor bolt.

Bkts.jpg and

Have a look at this previous thread on the subject:-

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=46979
Roger
S4 DHC
oldelanman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: danielmo » Mon Jan 29, 2024 2:12 pm

Great information, thank you oldelanman.

When you say modify the fiberglass, does that mean just drilling another hole, or cutting and fabricating a new nacelle for it to fit?
danielmo
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: oldelanman » Mon Jan 29, 2024 3:24 pm

danielmo wrote:When you say modify the fiberglass, does that mean just drilling another hole, or cutting and fabricating a new nacelle for it to fit?

Yes you need to increase the depth of the recess in the sidewall as the repositioned hole will be too close to the corner. It is mentioned in one of the posts in the thread I linked to above.
Roger
S4 DHC
oldelanman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Lotus54 » Mon Jan 29, 2024 5:45 pm

I think perhaps I have the S4 style, just looking at the pics.
I have not drilled a hold in the body (there was not one, the old inertial reel ones were held on some other way). But it appears there is enough room without doing anything but drilling a hold. Since I do not have shoulder belts yet (just some Kangol lap belts) I have not worried about it yet.

I will fit shoulder belts at some point and since I was doing the suspension, it seemed best to fit the anchors now, while it was easy.

IMG_7943.jpeg and
Lotus54
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: davidj » Mon Jan 29, 2024 8:26 pm

I fitted a spyder chassis on my s3 which had top seat belt mounts. However, I guess it was designed for an s4 because as oldelanman said I had to make a recess in the fibreglass. The holes were too close to the corner inside the car to fit the chrome belt brackets. Looking at your picture I think you will have the same problem :-(
davidj
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Lotus54 » Mon Jan 29, 2024 9:11 pm

You may be right in inside, it appeared to have adequate room when I installed, but I did not drill holes yet so I could be wrong.
I do not have the shoulder belts at this time.
I didn’t know there were two different styles, so while I said for a 66 S3, they may have sent S4 type and I would not know the difference.

Thanks
Lotus54
Second Gear
Second Gear

Total Online: