Special Door Latch Screws (S3)

PostPost by: Stevie-Heathie » Mon Mar 04, 2024 8:07 pm

Hi all

These screws have fallen out on both sides - does anybody have the specs for them please?

Thanks in advance
Steve

1967 S3 SE
Attachments
IMG_6056.jpeg and
Elan S3 Door Latch
1967 S3 SE DHC
1970 +2S (RIP - went out in a blaze of glory in 2001)
Stevie-Heathie
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: billwill » Tue Mar 05, 2024 12:37 am

On my S3 they are small nuts & bolts and are a pig to fit, so I replaced the nut with a rivnut.

Not totally stable but quite a good fit now.

https://duckduckgo.com/?t=lm&q=rivnut&iax=images&ia=images

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=rivnut+tool&t=lm&iar=images&iax=images&ia=images
Bill Williams

36/6725 S3 Coupe OGU108E Yellow over Black.
billwill
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: TonyA » Wed Mar 06, 2024 3:42 pm

They should be 1/4 unf countersunk philips machine screws, 1 inch; inside the door are nyloc nuts and a washers to spread the load. When I changed all the door fasteners for stainless, I also struggled with holding one of the nuts: to turn the screw : solution was patience and small, long nose vise grip pliers. The unf stainless countersunk screws were hard to find, and when I did find, the heads were a little proud of the countersunk holes which I didn't like. I used M6 countersunk screws (and nyloc nuts) instead and they were flush and just fine.

Tony
TonyA
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Elan45 » Wed Mar 06, 2024 4:50 pm

I just checked on my pre-airflow FHC and there are 3 nuts brazed on the inside of the door window frame. They must be that way on my Super Safety DHC too, since I was not surprised to find the coupe this way when it was the 2nd of my S3 cars. I can check when I get back to Ohio where I have a pair of NOS window frames, purchased from Lotus East when they went away.

Oh, I just checked the window frames on the coupe (not yet installed from total restoration) and there are all sorts of the same kind of nuts brazed onto it for mounting the window motor and cable drive pulley and idle pulleys etc. be a A rivnut would good repair

Roger
'67 Elan S3 SS DHC
'67 Elan FHC pre-airflow
'67 Elan S3 SE upgrade to 26R by Original owner
'58 Eleven S2 (ex-works)
'62 20/22 FJ (ex-Yamura)
'70 Elan +2S RHD
'61 20 FJ project
'76 Modus M1 F3
Elan45
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear