Fibreglass Restoration

PostPost by: AHM » Sun May 09, 2004 11:06 pm

Having decided that the Elan needed restoration I am now down to bare fibreglass.

I read somewhere on this site that I should apply a layer of fibreglass tissue as a top layer. The question is 1. Woven or chopped strand mat? 2. What weight cloth?

Thanks,

Simon
AHM
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: riverkeeper » Mon May 10, 2004 12:29 pm

Simon,

assuming you've done all the repairs, removed cracks etc. then a layer of tissue is a good idea to finish off. And you've answered your own question really, as it is called 'Tissue' what you will need. When you acquire some you'll see it is almost like a tissue paper but made out of fibreglass mat instead.

Your

Wayne.
riverkeeper
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: nebogipfel » Mon May 10, 2004 6:13 pm

Simon

More serious defects should be repaired with 300g per square metre chopped strand mat. Final finishing can be done with tissue which as Wayne says is simply very fine chopped strand mat.

As far as I am aware woven fiberglass matting was not used on "Classic" Lotus models?
John

No longer active on here, I value my privacy.
nebogipfel
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: AHM » Tue May 11, 2004 10:40 pm

Thanks for the information.

I wanted to make sure that I was buying the right stuff.

No I haven?t started to repair the chips, cracks, stars and crazed bits?yet! I don?t have a good wheel arch. One has a bit missing and another has rivets (!) holding 2 sections together. Previous repairs were done with thick mat just slapped on over the top, and then blended in with filler ?lots of filler.

Simon
AHM
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elansprint71 » Wed May 12, 2004 9:51 pm

A really good investment would be the "How to restore Fibreglass Bodywork" book by Miles Wilkins. I got this bound in one book together with his "How to restore paintwork".

Cheers,

Pete
elansprint71
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: AHM » Sat May 15, 2004 1:03 am

Thanks Pete,

I have been looking out for the fibreglass book for some time, but cant find it anywhere - I have read several extracts so have a good idea.

Simon
AHM
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: