Elan +2 Badge

PostPost by: kevin » Wed Jun 30, 2004 2:27 pm

Can anyone tell me where the Elan +2 model identification badge(s) should be located on an early car (January 1968) and also how many there should be?

When I placed the order for the badge, the vendor told me that he thought the early +2's had a single badge but couldn't remember exactly where it was located. I currently have only a green/yellow Lotus badge on the bonnet and the Lotus name across the boot lid. There are no other holes in order to locate a badge.

Also, whilst I'm at it, I have a chrome trim running the length of the car between the wheel arches. Was this always fitted to early plus 2's? Someone told me that it came in much later on.

Thanks

Kevin
kevin
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: daves56 » Wed Jun 30, 2004 3:05 pm

Kevin,

If I remember correctly the Plus 2 badge is mounted on the right side front fender. A few inches forward of the door and above the chrome strip you mention. It seems odd that Lotus would put it on only one side but the other +2's I've seen were also like this. (I removed mine because it needs to be rechromed.)
As for the chrome strip, I have one on my 69' Federal model.

Dave Sutcliffe
daves56
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: rickf » Wed Jun 30, 2004 5:37 pm

Here's some photos of mine. It's a 1972 and I don't know if they're the same.

<a href='http://members16.clubphoto.com/rick711292/2055639/owner-6de9.phtml' target='_blank'>Plus 2</a>
Cheers,<br>Rick<br>1972 Elan +2
rickf
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: 1964 S1 » Thu Jul 01, 2004 1:47 am

Hello, my stock '69 USA version +2 has, front round black emblem, rear deck chrome letters, and the narrow rectangular world champ badge on the lower right front quarter panel behind the front wheel. One side only, that's the way they did it. They're different than the '72 photos. I believe there is no set pattern.... some cars one way, others just down the assembly line, different. Some have small trapezoid side badges which yours might have had as it is such an early +2, (pre '68 championship.) Mine also has the trim strip which I think was installed on all +2 models at the factory.
1964 S1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: simon.mitchell » Thu Jul 01, 2004 8:48 am

My '68 UK plus 2 has the yellow / green nose badge, the LOTUS letters on the boot, an Elan +2 badge on the n/s/f wing and the 'World champion car constructor' badge on the o/s/r wing. No chrome strips between the wheelarches though..

I can send you a pic of the mounting point for the Elan +2 badge if you like, although I'm preparing the car for spraying at the moment so it's not fitted.

Cheers,
Simon
simon.mitchell
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: TonyC » Thu Jul 01, 2004 12:00 pm

You'll find the answer on this very website. If you look at the advertisment/ brouchers you will find an early +2 broucher.
You can clearly see that the broubher car has chrome strips between the wheel arches and a single elan+2 badge on the rear panel to the left of the number plate. No badges on the side.
The +2s gained the badge on the front wing, with a +2s badge on the rear wing.

Hope that helps.

Tony
TonyC
New-tral

PostPost by: 1964 S1 » Thu Jul 01, 2004 12:50 pm

I still stand by my comment, there is no set pattern...If the little badge bin was out of badges as a car was built, it might be missing one, or two...
1964 S1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Hegg » Thu Jan 27, 2005 4:45 am

Kevin, is this a Federal or UK spec car? My Federal 1970 +2 has it just behind the right front fender. It also has the "World Championship Car Constructors" badge at the left rear of the car.

<a href='http://unabled.com/show/cars/elan/TheShow/thumbs/img_2102.jpg' target='_blank'>Here's a pic -- a bit small, but you can see it up front on the fender</a>

Oh yeah, and mine was built in October of 1969 -- number 2036. Dunno if that qualifies for an "early" +2.
1970 Lotus Elan +2, 1991 Lotus Elan, 2006 Lotus Elise, all for sale.
Hegg
Second Gear
Second Gear

Total Online: