Door Latch Problem - S3

PostPost by: ggrenz » Sun Jul 18, 2004 5:02 am

Re ?67 S3; The Problem: Getting the driver?s side door latch to work properly and keep the door firmly closed. I can slam or wham the door or with my posterior musculature for additional good measure, but the door latch refuses to ?catch? and to keep the door closed snugly. Other motorists roll down their windows and advise me that ?your door is open?. :angry: The passenger side door latch is fine. Thanks for any suggestions.
ggrenz
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: bvt » Sun Jul 18, 2004 9:10 am

Door Seals!! Many people use large section door seal in a hope that it will make the car watertight.. make sure yours are not the big round ones, I had the same problem... partly coz i tried to get the doors to close very snug and was using thicker door seals.. due to the bad moulding they won't.

My solution was drastic.. I recut the doors and changed the shape to match the bodyshell.
bvt
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: sk178ta » Sun Jul 18, 2004 9:50 am

The door latch, the striker on the door frame/jamb is held in by 4 screws. Loosen these and you will find there is some movement/adjustment. Move it outboard as far as possible and tighten. It may be just enough.
Jim
sk178ta
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: types26/36 » Sun Jul 18, 2004 4:46 pm

Could be that the latch is the problem, it has a two position latch, first position is the safty and second is closed. Open the door and try with a screwdriver closing the latch on to the first position and then onto the second position. Each position should hold untill released by door button. If you can release the second catch by working with the screwdriver or it does not go into the second position then the latch/lock is faulty, if it holds then the chances are it is a door adjustment problem and it is not going into the closed position.
Brian
Brian
64 S2 Roadster
72 Sprint FHC
types26/36
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: ggrenz » Sat Jul 24, 2004 1:37 am

Thanks much for the suggestions. I did replace the door seals awhile back. And they are perhaps a bit too large/snug, perhaps causing the "second position" of the latch to give out over time? I hear 2 clicks - & the safety position works, but the second clicks but does not hold -- so I surmise it is the latch -- ok where to get a replacement or how to fix mine?

Incidentally, in order to get an appearance of the doors being fully closed, (do other elans have mis-alignments like this?) I am cutting a small slice in both doors of about 3/8 " max at the door corners and re-glassing before paint goes on. This has gone fairly smoothly, and I am learning new laparoscopic techniques to place a ?fillet? of fiberglass at/in the new joint/corner ? I shall be ready to take on vasectomy work soon!. :unsure: Any volunteers? :D
ggrenz
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: types26/36 » Sat Jul 24, 2004 7:14 am

Not really sure how you would "fix" it, but I would remove it, study its operation and repair as required, most Elans have a door fitting/alignment issue with the S3/4's usually worse then the S1/2's (could be said its not original if the doors do fit ):rolleyes:
Just be sure to have the body bolted down on the chassis before working on the doors as it does make a difference
Good luck with your fibreglassing
Brian
Brian
64 S2 Roadster
72 Sprint FHC
types26/36
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: